Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Learning Jumiekan Patwa

User Info Menu

Learning Jumiekan Patwa

excerpt from an online article........Into the fray steps Jamaican language scholar and musician, John McAnuff, 72, who has put together this CD, which also includes vocabulary and tips on pronunciation. The CD, now available at ⤢www.cdbaby.com, is titled the “Jumiekan Langwij Song and Project” and will be launched in Tokyo on June 21.

User Info Menu

Re: Learning Jumiekan Patwa

Good to know Ackee. Thanks!
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ackee View Post
    excerpt from an online article........Into the fray steps Jamaican language scholar and musician, John McAnuff, 72,
    The "fray" has been going on as long as I can remember. Is patois a true language or not?

Pickney are taught in patios in "all age school" up to a point but sooner or later must learn the "Queen's English" to continue to sound and be educated. The argument is at what point do you discard patois?

It's almost as if proper English is a second language. The problem is that the kids will learn better in the native language instead of one language at home and different language at school. But that won't cut it for the real world
    Last edited by captaind; 05-23-2014 at 08:21 AM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I remember the first time I encountered someone speaking deep patois to another Jamaican and then turning to me and speaking in perfect queens English. Mind just a little blown. That was 15 years ago on my first trip. Now it just seems natural. But I love it when they are speaking patois and I comment or respond with obvious understanding much to their amazement or amusement and occasionally embarrassment. It helps being married to a Jamaican!
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

I love patois and all of the innovative phrases that are added almost daily. I don't think it should ever be discarded, just included as part of one's reportoire.

User Info Menu

All Jamaicans are bilingual. When I attend meetings at the Lodge proper English is spoken during the meeting.

But at the fellowship table afterwards it's a mixture with patois used for emphasis or a joke.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I love to listen as well, and the more you hear, the more you understand.......surprises the Jamaicans lol!! There are so many phrases and words that fit so much better than English. A very descriptive language

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
    i love patois and all of the innovative phrases that are added almost daily. I don't think it should ever be discarded, just included as part of one's reportoire.
    ditto!

User Info Menu

I love listening to Rob & friends....his friends will speak deep Patois to him (they're usually still a little gentler with me ) & he speaks right back in full English to them...none of them miss a beat!

User Info Menu

My patios is thirty years old and very antique. When I returned I'd never heard the words "nyam " or "respect" before.

Who can understand kids these days?

In polite society in my day one never used a bad word in mixed company. There were euphemisms for the ****clots and such.

"mi back foot" "to rhaaatit". Some times I talk like a Jamaican geezer!

First time I met Lembert I was saying I'd just had a nice plate of "Afoo" yam at the yard. He looks at me and says" last time I heard afoo yam was from my grandfather" BTW...you call it white yam.

So now I'm AKA "afoo"
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave