Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone sharte their first CLIFF experience after years of BEACH stays?

User Info Menu

Y'all nailed it if you want peace & privacy = Cliffs (can't say quiet cuz some of the places on cliff road can be noisy at Night).
    I stayed at Banana Shout in 2008 and had the Red Rooster room at it was too close to the road, could hear cars and dogs barking all night!

I prefer the beach because I like to be able to get up from my lounger and walk a few miles (safely) and I like the action of the beach too.

I loved my stay at SeaStar but wound up going to the beach everyday anyway. Cliffs are great if you want to stay put and chill otherwise you have to take a taxi everywhere. That being said I would stay on the cliffs again but I'd prefer being right on the sea (nothing against SeaStar).

It really depends on what u want out of your vacation, IMHO.
    Choochy420

User Info Menu

I love the cliffs; however, you are away from everything. And, where it is nice if you just need tranquility, I say stay on the cliffs. If you want lots of interaction, the beach is definitely the place to stay. After a few years of staying on the cliffs, I'm going back to the beach!

User Info Menu

Thanks all...I have pretty much decided on doing a split stay. Jan 4-11...

I believe arrival---->5 nights @ SeaStar, then the last 6 nites at a beach spot (probably Mariners/NBCC).

I may just leave the last six nites---->departure open, and and do the "land and look"...I'd have five days to find my next "spot..." to stay, kinda cool.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this advisable?

User Info Menu

I vote for NBCC, like the kichen and great location, and beach.

User Info Menu

Brasi - Those are great questions and I've really enjoyed reading all the responses!

I'm going to be staying on the cliffs for the first time in November (Also a split stay like you - i.e. half beach /half Cliff) and I was wondering the same thing! After reading everyone's thoughts on the cliffs vs the beach it gives me a better idea of what I should expect.

I'm really a beach person, but I'm intrigued by the cliffs as well. It's something I want to experience. I wonder which I'll prefer in the end...

I think it would be fun to do the "land and look" approach to the last part of your trip. You'll have plenty of time to scope out the area. I wonder if you'd get better rates as a drop in....
    Last edited by Clarity; 08-30-2011 at 07:49 PM.
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Started off 7 years ago doing a split - beach and then Seastar - the last couple of years we have migrated to Seastar for entire stays. It's now my home away from home and there is always somewhere to go when the feeling takes you. Lots of web casts - shuttle to beach every day and no hassles. No finer food with a great selection and a staff that always has a smile and a hug when needed. That's what my vacation is all about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brasi View Post
    I may just leave the last six nites---->departure open, and and do the "land and look"...I'd have five days to find my next "spot..." to stay, kinda cool.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this advisable?
    It's not a bad idea...if you want to explore a few places in person before you choose your next hotel. But do note...more than likely you will not find any great deals at that time & availability might be some what limited.
    Personally, I would rather have my room booked in advance....so I didn't have to waste my time looking around...but that's me!
    Have FUN!!!
    Last edited by Bnewb; 08-30-2011 at 10:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Bnewb, gotta agree with you! That time of year, it may be tough to get exactly what you want. We booked 9 months in advance...on the cliffs...and still had to break up our trip. No rooms for the entire time...so have to move mid trip. Still it will be awesome..without a doubt~~!!

Enjoy Brasi! Can't wait to hear all about it. Will be there mid December through Jan 6th...so maybe will see you there.

User Info Menu

I love the beach, and I love the cliffs BUT....as a solo traveller, the beach wins out. Its just easier to get out and mingle if you feel like it. I also prefer walking the beach to the side of the cliff road (done that and didnt like it one bit). Early morning walk is essential in JA to counteract all the good food going down!
    If you want complete privacy, peace and quiet, then the cliffs fit the bill.
    Perfect trip: at least 2 weeks, with a few days on the cliffs to start (unwind, relax, nap, eat) then hit the beach for the rest.

PS...I agree with Maryanne...waves crashing on the cliffs when you are solo can get you thinking....sigh...alone again....sigh....lolol

User Info Menu

OK all...great advice! I am booked Jan 4-9 at Seastar and can't wait to experience that place. By all accounts it's awesome...the weekend days in that span coincide with the NFL Wildcard weekend...Brasi...Negril...football...swim-up bar...great food...Jamaican girls...UH OH! (: Chris has already let me know they have a great football atmosphere. I can only HOPE my team, The Redskins, makes the playoffs this year...(long shot)...but imagine THAT. wow.

As far as the second half of my stay...I have hedged my bets (and heeded bnewb's advice) as well by calling Mariners and reserving my last 6 nights (Jan 9-15) there. I like it there because I can still walk to town, hang at the beach, AND hit the West End...and I'm familiar with the property and staff...because I have stayed there before...my wingman The Judge is already in place. haha.

Of course---Mariner's is not even sure what their winter rate is yet...I'm waiting for a call back...and from experience the place is not as responsive as others...but I'll keep looking around for a cool beach spot in case it's redonk...or in case they never call back. haha. Thoughts?

Has anyone else realized how FUN this part of a reach is? Talking about it? Booking it? Planning stuff?

I don't leave for four months....but I am already hypnotized by Negril. (: Even though I am not altogether new to the West End...I'm happy because I am going to "be in the know" re: staying The Cliff side after this trip...yay!

My only regret is I could have booked for a longer stay...(11 nights good, but more nights always BETTER haha) but...since I didn't...I am hoping to do a quick stay at the end of April for the bash... rock on with your bad selves!
    Last edited by brasi; 08-31-2011 at 07:36 AM.