Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone sharte their first CLIFF experience after years of BEACH stays?

User Info Menu

Can anyone sharte their first CLIFF experience after years of BEACH stays?

I've been to Negril 5 times, all on the beach. Thinking about split stay or cliffs stay...

I just booked my flight for MY second solo Negril trip (January), but not my hotel yet.

I know the "general" thought on beach vs. cliff stays....but what will I miss from the beach?

What will I like better?

Did anyone NOT like the cliffs after staying on the beach?

Split stays?

Do I NEED to try the cliffs now, after 5 beach trips?

Also: how does January stack up, in general?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by brasi; 08-27-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: grammar

User Info Menu

I've done both and prefer the beach. I stayed on the cliffs shortly after my divorce, and surely if I had a "significant other" at the time, it would have been a much more enjoyable stay, but something about the waves crashing against the cliffs gave me kind of a "lonely" feeling. Can't quite describe it, and it was probably due to the hard time I was going through, but I had to finish up my stay on the beach. I love having my feet in the sand, long morning walks on the beach, and the sound of the tree frogs at night. I do love spending time on the west end, but I'm a beach girl.
    Last edited by Maryann; 08-27-2011 at 11:36 AM.

User Info Menu

I did my first cliff stay two years ago after spending many years as just a beach person. I did enjoy being able to explore a new area, but as a solo traveller, I did not find the cliffs to be for me. As with Maryann, if I were traveling with a sig other, I imagine my opinion would be different. The cliffs were beautiful and peaceful, but I found it harder to meet people and also harder to wander around.

I am not giving up on the cliffs, I plan to try again next year. But I know why I prefer the beach.

User Info Menu

long time beach traveller, did the cliffs one time. lonely. even with a significant other, it's like being at an all inclusive except a lot smaller property.
    lovely catch a property, once you leave the gates, it's a different feel. not for me. nowhere to walk, dangerous road, no sidewalk.
    if you want romance, and bunker in with the significant other, great, otherwise beach all the way.

User Info Menu

After four beach stays, we decided to split last January. I really liked the cliffs, but would not stay there the entire time. When we go again this January, we will split again. I now like going to the cliffs first, relax and tan. Then off to the beach we go. I love to walk, and the cliff area is not the best for that. I can't imagine Negril without my morning walks down the beach, and hitting places to eat and driink. Just my two cents.

User Info Menu

Stayed on the cliffs my last two visits. Before that I stayed at the beach for the last twenty five years.
    On the cliffs it is nice to be right on the sea, hear the waves. On the beach you hear the crickets, also a great sound. Seems like less mosquitos on the cliffs.
    I rent a scooter when I am in Negril so it makes it very easy to be on the beach when you want the beach, and up in West End when you want the cliffs. Lots of great restaurants in west end too.
    One drawback of the west end is that I would have to say the road is dangerous for pedestrians. Too many fast cars, seems the police can't control it all the time. Many spots with walls right beside road, and no where to go if a car comes flying at you.
    Where will I stay next reach? Don't know, like the beach and the cliffs.

User Info Menu

Brasi,
    I have decided my next stay will be at Sea Star. Many people to occupy any loneliness and a free shuttle to the beach anytime. Rates are great , better rest. and bar than we had your last trip. I plan to eat and hit the beach at Cosmo's, Margaritaville, Canoe, Aqua. Definetely less hustlers and vendors. Road not really a concern because of the shuttle, plenty of west end businesses to hang at or shuttle down to main beach. Henry is a great replacement for your wing man at Mariners. Not sure you can lay back in your beach chair watching the Canadian girls but easy access to the beach and places to sand surf/ people watch.

Children Are Our Tomorrow !

User Info Menu

mi did the beach thingy for seven years before I took the plunge by accident........
    mi was going thru a divorce and hadn't made reservations before mi arrived in Negril in November 1991.......
    met this guy that was on mi plane on the way down and wanted to know if I needed a ride out to Negril........
    mi said sure why not and wi headed out to Negril....he said he was staying at LTU on the Cliffs in da car....it was a Lata.....lol
    mi said how much are da rooms der? him said around $50 a night.........mi said that sounded pretty good to mi.......
    wi got dropped off at LTU and mi took the unit right in the front on the second floor........what a room and view.......
    well mi stayed der for mi entire reach and forgot all about da divorce and had a splendid time.......
    mi spent time snorkeling there in the Cove everyday and hanging out with people at the LTU pub was awesome........
    went down to da beach at night and hit the usual spots and partied like it was 1999.........lol
    saw the guy a few times and him was riding around on his moped having a grand time too..........
    mi hooked up with him again for the ride back to MoBay airport.......
    and made record time as the young driver drove like a bat out of hell.......lol
    memorable trip and sumthin mi needed at that time in mi life.........couldn't ask for more

Quote Originally Posted by brasi View Post
    but what will I miss from the beach?
    probably the sand and all the vendors and higglers...........and people watching.......

What will I like better?
    dunno..........but I luv snorkeling and having no higglers bothering mi.........
    so if you into swimming, snorkeling, diving, etc and the cooler wata......
    and no higglers........and nice friendly people.....and cheaper restuarants and bars........
    and you enjoy quietness and peacefulness........you might like the Cliffs more........
    you can always head to the beach for the action and head back to the Cliffs to relax and chill mon......

Did anyone NOT like the cliffs after staying on the beach?
    mi loved the Cliffs the first time as it was a whole different world........
    on da Cliffs compared to the beach you feel like a local......and not a tourist
    if you not into wata stuff and have to have nonstop action all da time........you might not like the Cliffs

Split stays?
    had booked Coral Seas Beach and Coral Seas Cliffs to split up the reach........
    but ended up with the Penthouse at Coral Seas Beach and they said I could stay der for mi entire reach.....
    basically cause mi was so lazy and the sand gravity was so bad that mi didn't want to pack up and move.......
    so I only ended up making up to the Coral Seas Cliff on their shuttle which was best of both worlds.........

Do I NEED to try the cliffs now, after 5 beach trips?
    yah mon...........you ready to make the move up.......you a verified Negril Addict.........lol

Also: how does January stack up, in general?
    January is awesome..........
    the first two weeks are a likkle bit of a lull before it gets real busy in Negril.......
    the weather is pretty dry and the nights are a lot cooler........
    staying on the Cliffs you probably won't hardly need A/C
    you'll always need A/C if you are staying on da beach.....trust mi........lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Last edited by Marko; 08-27-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

After many, many stays on the beach, I made the switch to the Cliffs this past reach (actually, a split but a total of 11 nights at Sea Star Inn). And if you're wondering if it was worth it, you can read all the gory details:

http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...ng-a-GOOD-time!

User Info Menu

After years of staying at different places, some years the cliffs and sometimes the beach, I enjoy being on the beach better closer to everything, just seems like when I stay up on the cliffs, doing the day I come down to the beach , and then have to travel back up to the cliffs to get ready for the night time and travel back down to go alfreds, jungle, unless you have a bike or something for getting around back and fore it can get expensive for taxi. And going solo, Seastar would be the only place on the cliff, otherwise it would be to lonely.