Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are they spearfishing for lionfish?

User Info Menu

I intend on having my friends at Just Natural prepare it for me on my next trip. I'm sure Emile will come up with some way to make it mouth watering ;-)

I had info on a couple establishments in Negril that have cooked it in the past....just can't find my info as to where. I'll keep looking.

User Info Menu

Here is a video from the Jamaican Observer showing two ways of cooking lionfish. I do a lot of cooking when in JA and I wll definately be trying both of these recipes on my next reach. When I cooked lionfish previously, I basically cooked in the same way I do most fish (browned then steam with vegetables). Tastes a lot like grouper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDBmw...eature=related

If you prefer not to cook, just ask your favourite restaurant/resort to cook some for you (if they do not have lionfish available, ask them if they can get some for the next day if you make dinner reservation). The more the tourists ask for lionfish, the more it will be offered on their standard menu's!

Nyam and enjoy (while helping the environment)!

User Info Menu

I just shot three and they were all to small to cook. Fun fun fun anyway

User Info Menu

This might be interesting as well

http://youtu.be/Fx3tf71TdfE

I would love to upload some pics to this site, but since it was updated it's a nogo. Anyway every jamaican cook I talked to knew how to cook them.

User Info Menu

A picture of the beast

Name:  ja114 003.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  85.3 KB

User Info Menu

Kbisiar, i was just wondering.

If you shoot a lionfish, does that leave a blood trail that may attract sharks?

I would love to hunt those suckers down and X them out.
    But, i am afraid that sharks will smell the blood and come a running.

As you can tell, i'm not an avid spear fisherman.

User Info Menu

No blood at all as far as I could tell. Been diving in JA(in very out of the way areas) for 7 years. Never one shark yet. I know they cought a big one a couple months ago, but still very rare...so shootem up

User Info Menu

I agree. I've got over 100 dives in Jamaica and have yet to see a shark. My avatar was taken in Belize.

User Info Menu

Mr. Twister, believe it or not, an AI has been doing something about the Lionfish infestation for a couple of years now, Hedonism II has had an american middle aged couple down numerous times for free week stays. They go out daily during their stays with the staff dive crew to eradicate the invaders. (A small dent in the problem, but at least they are trying).

User Info Menu

kim&betty........I believe it. I was certain that the information I had read in the past was of an all inclusive doing this. I think it is fantastic. I hope to find the info so I can post it. I did find that in May 2010, hoteliers in Negril, Jamaica sponsored a three-day competition in which teams of fishermen caught a total of 1,446 lionfish.
    Last edited by Mr. Twister; 08-29-2011 at 03:36 PM.