Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are they spearfishing for lionfish?

User Info Menu

I didn't see 1500 fish, but I did see with my own eyes this couple bring in 6 - 10 fish per dive X # of dives per day X # of days per trip (I didn't ask them) X I saw them several trips = Couple a hundred less invasive species. just thought, aren't we an invasive species? that would be a response getting thread.

User Info Menu

or could it be that lionfish are native to these waters, but because of global warming they are just now returning to the caribbean/gulf of mexico? or that natural cyclical global cooling had reduced their population to only the pacific ocean? thats a good subject to reason with my bredren in a few short days, soon come sept 4th!

User Info Menu

Lionfish are not native to the Caribbean. They are native to the Pacific and may have been released via pet stores or private aquariums that were flooded during florida hurricanes. They are voracious predators with no natural enemies in the Caribbean and multiply quickly. They need to have their numbers reduced by any means necessary.
    The fact that they are tasty is a plus.
    Your idea Kim&Betty that we are invasive and a threat to the reef is true and maybe the Lionfish invasion will spark a new desire to protect this valuable living thing the Caribbean Coral Reef.

User Info Menu

i meant native, in a pre-Jacques-Yves Cousteau world, or even farther back. you know, a few geological/ biological millenium ago. are you certain they weren't native back then? Fossils of Elephants, Camels, Horses, Giant Sloths, etc. have been found across the US, but those present day species of mammals are certainly not considered native to the US. We can't really be sure now, can we? That's what I call a poser.

User Info Menu

I am glad to see they are addressing this problem in Negril. We saw 8 Lion Fish on our first snorkel on the cliffs and had to choose an alternate exit point, as the ladder out was surrounded with them. I am thankful they were not there when we entered the water, as I wouldn't have known it until too late. :-{

They are such a beautiful creature, but so invasive. I understand their sting is pretty nasty as well.
    I still found snorkeling the cliffs to be so enjoyable, but would love to see these guys thinned down to nothing.
    Life is good ~ Life on the beach is better!

User Info Menu

Yes kim&betty a thousand years ago there may have been lionfish in the caribbean. If thats your point maybe check wikipedia's 1000 BC edition. Haha

Wolves are native to the rockies and have been reintoduced and causing all the problems people warned them about 10 years ago.They have no preditors are nearly impossible to hunt, reproduce like rabbits...pack hunt big game(big source of conservation dollors for those states) and ranchers cattle and sheep(the fed compensates the ranchers for this). Do you see a pattern here?

Assuming a billion years ago lionfish were native does not mean they are healthy addition to the ecosystem. Just one mans opinion

User Info Menu

I would love to know what places in Negril are cooking them..also, a very important question..how dangerous is it to eat if not prepared properly? That would be my only concern, but if it isn't a serious one, just let me know and ease my mind.

User Info Menu

I'm no expert, but I did read in many articles that once dead they are non toxic and pose no risk. Preparing them for cooking does not pose the same risks you face with puffer fish for example. After spearing one I could see the toxin dripping from the spines. I have read that some sperfishers cut the spines off right after spearing just to be safe.

User Info Menu

kbisiar......That is incorrect. The dorsal spine does still carry the toxin even after the fish is dead and must be carefully cut around when cutting the meat from the fish.

This will show hot to cut the meat from the fish around the poisonous spine.

User Info Menu

Here is a guy that got stung by one spearfishing. It doesnt look like he is enjoying himself...lol