Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Water Safety in Negril

User Info Menu

Water Safety in Negril

By fluke Tuesday was a goof off day for us.
    We stayed close to the water @ Catcha and just swam a bit.
    We had no idea there was a tragedy at Ricks.

There were multiple near tragedies right before our eyes.
    Some kid (young man between 20 -26) did a double back flip off the rocks, that butt up to Catcha's property, and landed with a classic bellyflop.
    He hurt himself and had to be helped from the water - he was apparently the lucky one that day.
    The difference in outcome is probably due to the height of his dive.

Here is my point:
    Do you want to wreck your vacation?
    Do you want to wreck your families vacation?

Before you jump off the cliffs (I'm not going to call it diving):
    Are you an experienced high diver?
    Are you a gymnast?
    DO YOU KNOW FOR A FACT what is in the water you're diving into?

If you answered no to any of those why are you jumping off a perfectly good cliff?

The Red Cross recommends at least 9 feet of depth for head first diving.
    Leading cause of spinal injuries for young people is diving (not SCUBA).

One other thing: Don't be coerced into stupidity.
    Within the same group as the above mentioned belly-flopper was a young lady in a pink one piece.
    She had swam over to and climbed the ladder up to the belly-flopper's cliff.
    When she looked down she couldn't do the jump, yet her group teased her for over 15 minutes to jump.
    Thankfully the young lady backed out of it - I wonder if a young man would have.
    Young men are horrible risk takers.

If you still want to jump off the cliffs (and threaten your group's vacation) at least get a pair of goggles and scout the area you're diving into.
    Then after you scout it out try to get the notion out of your head.

Hey man it's your vacation, why wreck it?

Signed,
    a former Red Cross Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor
    That rug really tied the room together.

User Info Menu

Re: Water Safety in Negril

great suggestions.... I have been going to Negril for decades, diving and jumping from the highest heights has always been a big part of my trip and continue to be to this day, wouldn't be the same experience or trip for me if I couldn't....

User Info Menu

It's your trip man.
    Um, you know, unless you're traveling with others.

Seriously, I offer these words of advice from experience, I don't wish to see anyone's trip ruined.
    I will not repeat cringe inducing scenes I've seen (as a lifeguard at a posh hotel) associated with diving.
    When I was a boy I liked cut-aways, jack-knives, back flips and even A-C's, after lifeguarding I took diving out of my swim activities.
    Your results may vary.

Like I said it's your trip.
    That rug really tied the room together.

User Info Menu

it is my trip, and boy do I sure enjoy it..... been doin it for 30 plus years.... Plan on quite a few more....

User Info Menu

I've almost been jumped on at Xtabi. Watch where you are jumping.

User Info Menu

Good points...

We just discussed this tonight after (rewind the clock) I was a little upset when my GF jumped this winter in Negril not having a clue what she was doing or what would/could happen if she landed wrong or on rocks. It's not just about the thrill of the moment....one bad jump could of f-ed up both of our vacations any maybe more.

Plus as a former firefighter/EMS/poker player... the math just isn't correct to risk it in Negril (for risk takers). Assuming an ambulance is at the station in working order, the response time might be 10-15 minutes. If it's in Sav or Mobay it might be let's just say longer. Then....how long till a full cert trauma center? In JA will those trauma centers accept someone without travel insurance?

Not being a negative Nellie but my mother use to be a flight nurse flying smart travelers who bought travel insurance off of the islands back to all over the US for proper treatment. Not a way to spend a vacation....so drink up...smoke up....and dive asss first into a beach chair...