Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Places to stay in Port Antonio

User Info Menu

Re: Places to stay in Port Antonio

TAH,

I understand your cautiousness. After all, you are being accompanied by your precious Empress. Keeping that in mind, I would never recommend to anyone a place, event or person that would require one to be overly guarded. Portland allows me to walk, play and dance without being noticed. It may be because I don’t project radiant beauty as I envision your Empress does. Or it could be that they just don’t care. Either reason, I’m rarely approached, let alone harassed…especially on the beaches..,and never do I feel I need to watch my back.

Accommodations…okay there are no RIU’s, Sandals or Breezes in Portland. Unique/Specialty hotels, villas and guesthouses are what you will find. I need a kitchen/kitchenette so I search for villas and guesthouses. From all the places I stayed or toured, Winnifred Breeze is the first I can endorse on this board. Secure, clean, good location and the owners are gems. Mrs. Scott 876-388-1129.

Here are some pictures.

My unit was on the second floor. The breeze was so refreshing and strong I only used the AC 3 times. I would open the door and the wind circulated the entire unit…including the bathroom when that window was open. And ZERO mosquitoes. I’ll provide more details about the property in a separate post.

Down town Port Antonio is a mess because of the installation of the sewer system, but it’s a “clean” mess and only down town. They work hard to keep the roads clear of construction debris and water. But outside of town is nothing but lush, green landscaping and plenty of beaches and coves for you and your Empress to enjoy undisturbed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    TAH,

I understand your cautiousness. After all, you are being accompanied by your precious Empress. Keeping that in mind, I would never recommend to anyone a place, event or person that would require one to be overly guarded. Portland allows me to walk, play and dance without being noticed. It may be because I don’t project radiant beauty as I envision your Empress does. Or it could be that they just don’t care. Either reason, I’m rarely approached, let alone harassed…especially on the beaches..,and never do I feel I need to watch my back.

Accommodations…okay there are no RIU’s, Sandals or Breezes in Portland. Unique/Specialty hotels, villas and guesthouses are what you will find. I need a kitchen/kitchenette so I search for villas and guesthouses. From all the places I stayed or toured, Winnifred Breeze is the first I can endorse on this board. Secure, clean, good location and the owners are gems. Mrs. Scott 876-388-1129.

Here are some pictures.

My unit was on the second floor. The breeze was so refreshing and strong I only used the AC 3 times. I would open the door and the wind circulated the entire unit…including the bathroom when that window was open. And ZERO mosquitoes. I’ll provide more details about the property in a separate post.

Down town Port Antonio is a mess because of the installation of the sewer system, but it’s a “clean” mess and only down town. They work hard to keep the roads clear of construction debris and water. But outside of town is nothing but lush, green landscaping and plenty of beaches and coves for you and your Empress to enjoy undisturbed.
    Great stuff. That place looks just about perfect for us, we're not at all high maintenance types. I will definitely check it out, and again, I appreciate the info. Did you ever finish that trip report? I was rolling right along reading there for a while...

User Info Menu

Good stuff...more details on this guest house please =)

TAH yes they may notice your Empress but it will not be the disrespect you encounter in Negril. I have never been disrespected and definitely can't say the same for Negril. Dinner at Geejam and Saturday night live jazz and dinner at Trident are good choices. Also enjoyed the sports bar in town - Time Out. Reich Falls, Rafting down the Rio Grande and beach days at Winnifred and Long Bay are all things you guys would enjoy. Give Portland a chance, I don't think you will regret it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sammyb View Post
    Good stuff...more details on this guest house please =)

TAH yes they may notice your Empress but it will not be the disrespect you encounter in Negril. I have never been disrespected and definitely can't say the same for Negril. Dinner at Geejam and Saturday night live jazz and dinner at Trident are good choices. Also enjoyed the sports bar in town - Time Out. Reich Falls, Rafting down the Rio Grande and beach days at Winnifred and Long Bay are all things you guys would enjoy. Give Portland a chance, I don't think you will regret it.
    Geejam has been on the bucket list for a while now. I still kick myself for passing up an amazing rate there last year, it was some crazy low price (less than $200/nt) considering their normal rates, and I've never seen it that cheap since that time. In Negril, I've ony ever had one time where a guy (with his group of friends in tow) made an unfortunate comment (not directly to us, but loud enough to clearly be heard). I've been pretty impressed overall with Jamaicans level of respect for a guy with his woman, but new places always put me on guard. Now, back to the rabbit hole... I have some research to do!

User Info Menu

TAH, Wow…less than $200 at Geejam??? I would have been all over that. The property is breathtaking!! My second choice is Match Resort. The only reason it’s not my first is because I do need a kitchen. But Mr. Harris and his staff are wonderful and go out of their way to take care of you.

The last report did end quickly because I was leaving for Jamaica the next day, but yeah that was the end. I’m glad you took the time to read it. I will be starting a new one from my August visit in the next week. It’s going to be a long one with a more final ending. Hopefully after viewing the report and pictures, like Sammy said, you might give Portland a try.

Sammy, I'll post more about Winnifred Breeze in the report.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    TAH, Wow…less than $200 at Geejam??? I would have been all over that. The property is breathtaking!! My second choice is Match Resort. The only reason it’s not my first is because I do need a kitchen. But Mr. Harris and his staff are wonderful and go out of their way to take care of you.

The last report did end quickly because I was leaving for Jamaica the next day, but yeah that was the end. I’m glad you took the time to read it. I will be starting a new one from my August visit in the next week. It’s going to be a long one with a more final ending. Hopefully after viewing the report and pictures, like Sammy said, you might give Portland a try.

Sammy, I'll post more about Winnifred Breeze in the report.
    Yeah, I know, I'm still kinda depressed about not booking it right there and then. Such is life. I'll look forward to your next report.

User Info Menu

Does anyone have any info on, JAMAICA Crest Hotel. They seem to get good reviews and wanted to contact them. I've sent 2 emails and no response, so far. I've called the phone number on their website. The mailbox is full!! I ve made several attempts. Are they open? Any info would be much appreciated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfish View Post
    Does anyone have any info on, JAMAICA Crest Hotel. They seem to get good reviews and wanted to contact them. I've sent 2 emails and no response, so far. I've called the phone number on their website. The mailbox is full!! I ve made several attempts. Are they open? Any info would be much appreciated.
    Well, if you've made those attempts and no response, I'd move on. That's generally not a good sign.

User Info Menu

Jamaica Crest is being run like an apartment so not open as a hotel anymore. Check Ivanhoe, Bayview Villa, Match Resort or Jamaica Palace. There are also a few guest houses in the area you could check out.

User Info Menu

vi, does winnifred breeze have a fenced yard where guests can safely park their rental car?