Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant Reviews only my opinion

User Info Menu

Restaurant Reviews only my opinion

I mentioned this in another post and have had several PM's about it so decided to repost form about a year or two ago.

Places we ate on our trip and thoughts on them. They are in random order rated by $ and *for quality. Also there is a dinner list and lunch list. There are many other places worth trying and I know I have forgotten a few.

DINNER LIST

De Bar $ ****
    Service was good Eddie, Trevor and Joseph all great. We ate here twice and each trip was about 1 hour for food to arrive. Not bad being they cook to order and we had a good variety of jerk chicken, brown stew and curry. All were good. Top 3 spot

LTU $$$ ****
    Good as usual, food in about a hour and quality Drinks. never have been disappointed here

Rock House $$$ ***
    Good food especially coconut chicken with a nice bar. I like the place but would rather give my business to the smaller locally owned places.

Xtabi $$$ ***
    Good food and Bar. more on the upscale side, what i like is not as crowded as Rock House when you want a little pampering.

Catch a Falling Star $$$ ***
    Good Food and excellent bar Ivans is getting better each trip.

Sharks $ ****
    Good food and Juliet is super. she will cook anything you want even if not on the menu just let her know during the day so she has it on hand. curry lobster is awesome. This is a Top 3 Spot. Juliet and Shark just seem to treat us like family.

3 Dives $$ could be $$$ **
    Used to be a favorite place, still up there but with problems. Food is as good as ever but the Lobster has gotten expensive $ 28.00. Worst thing is the wait as it has gotten more well know service is terrible slow went on a Sunday and Friday and both nights the wait was 2 to 3 hours, Just way too long.

Seastar $$ *
    We don’t really like a Buffet so not so good for us, and the price has gone up from 12 to 15 dollars. We love the music when they are singing but the Drummers get old after a bit as all the songs sound the same. They do have a TV for football though.

Alice’s $$ *
    Service was great but when we ordered jerk chicken, brown strew and curry chicken and it came in less than 20 minutes I knew we were in trouble, I expect a hour wait for fresh prepaired food. It was like they had things pre cooked and just warmed them up. The opposite of 3 dives. Fries were very good as a appetizer.

Sweet Spice $$***
    Kind of a spot for locals on the road to Sav, food has always been good not great but good. More than anything the only place i have eaten that has Air Conditioning!

Sips and Bites $$ ***
    Nice road side place, good variety and price.

LUNCH LIST

Ras Roddy’s $ ***
    Great veggie lunch at great price

Miss Sonia’s $$ ****
    Best patties anywhere in the world superb dinner items. our friends stayed in the long house at Tensing Pen and that room has a private Kitchen. We had Miss Sonia come and cook one night and was one of the single best meals i have had in my life. she is a great story teller. Top 3 spot

Canoe Bar $$ *
    Ok food, price and atmosphere, not as good a some have made it out to be. You here about the best fries in the world. Yes they are from fresh cut potatoes if they only new the trick to blanch them in ice water first to make them crispy. as a place to hang out great but after reviews from other people i was expecting more.

Jus Natural $$ **
    Great food and service

Out of Town Pastry $ **
    Good Food but go early before they sell out

Jucie Patties $ **
    Good bargain a favorite for lunch. cheep enough to take a route taxi from west end just to pick up lunch and still not blow up the budget.

Selina’s $$ **
    Food was good but the band is too loud. we have only eaten here for breakfast on sundays and have not been there since it change names and Selina moved back to Canada. I am sure Big Roy is still cooking up great pancakes.

Leroy’s Jerk $$ *
    Good quality and normally has something on the grill but a little over priced. He wants 600j for a ¼ chicken and same thing at De bar is 450j. He get 2 dollar signs for that.

Timm {Don't Tread On Me}

User Info Menu

Where is Sharks?

User Info Menu

across the street from Tensing Pen, between Ros Roddies and the recently closed Alice's

Timm {Don't Tread On Me}

User Info Menu

Places that have been consistently good enough to return to year after year after year...

BEACH-

Alfred's for Fish and Chips
    $ and ***

Kuyaba for dinner. Everything is top shelf. Try to get the crow's nest seating. The pepper shrimp is off the charts good.
    $$$1/2 and ****

Best of the West, the Jerk Hut at CCLP and the jerk hut for RIU Club are good choices for beach jerk. We have heard good things about Ossie's but haven't been. I've eaten from barrels late at night, but don't recall names! It was all good and cheap though!
    $$ and ***

Charella Inn--Fine dining and never a complaint! IMHO, the best dining in Negril on the beach.
    $$$$ and ****

Sweet Spice--Loved the atmosphere, the AC, and the brown stew anything. The wait was the longest we ever experienced anywhere in JA though. Quality food.
    $$---and ***1/2

Bourbon Beach--Good jerk chicken and fries, an odd place, strange vibes....but the food was good.
    $$---and ***

that's just some of my beach recommendations.....pm me if you want more. I'll come back with some cliff selections later. Remember, you can do a cheap lunch on the beach using the vendors! And never have to leave your lounger...
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

the reviews were pretty much on the mark but I think your mileage will vary from place to place....

Three Dives has the best Jerk Chicken on the Cliffs and you can't beat the setting.....

SeaStar Inn Buffet is a great deal cause the price is for food and superb entertainment...
    the SeaStar Inn entree's are very large portions and the food has always been excellent......
    the Burgers are huge and one of the better ones in Negril........
    the Cordon Bleu entree is an extra large portion and awesome tasting.....

what can you say about the Canoe..........what a setting with that constant breeze blowing...
    probably the best fish entrees in all of Negril..the sandwiches are all well prepared and excellent....
    Kirby's 5 Rum Punch is off the hook.....all the drinks are wonderful too....Beers are Ice Cold...
    I ate there one reach 8 times and I'm kinda a picky eater so that should tell you sumthin about da Canoe...

and Sharks with Juliet is probably one of the best kept secrets in Negril(as well as Jenny's)...
    known her since '96 when she down on Summerset and I think her cooking is even better now....

Jenny's is hands down the best place on the Cliffs for Breakfast..huge portions and cheap
    their Lunch and Dinner meals are inexpensive also......
    entree portions are on the smaller side but for the price I can't complain
    try their baked goods......their awesome........but lookie out for the "Special Cake".......

Cliffs places like Rockhouse and Hungry Lion have never done much for mi....plus both are lot of $$$
    but I think Ivans is awesome and well worth the money...........especially at sunset
    LTU is a great standby...........their Chicken Lola and Pumpkin Soup absolutely rocks!

for the beach you can't loose at Kubaya.........just a great dining experience there......
    Coconut International is the old standby on the beach........can't miss there.........
    and if mi broke or on a budget.........Colletes and Fatties are just super.........
    Bourbon Beach, Best of the West and Ossies are great for Jerk............
    and Step A Side is the best jerk barrel guy on the beach road........

mi think if you were to hit some of these places above.......you'd be a very happy camper

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Last edited by Marko; 08-29-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

I think you all forgot one for the lunch list - maybe because is in town and not a beach/cliffs spot?
    Red Dragon - $ and **** for what it serves - jerk pork only.

I agree pretty much with everything said above - even more so about Shark's.

But sorry Marko, I have to agree with Living_the_Dream that De Bar has passed 3 Dives on everything but the view - food/price/wait time.
    Don't get me wrong, I still hit 3 Dives each reach - but go to De Bar more often, now.
    08: Jan-NegrilTreehouse
    08: Nov-RoomsOnTheBeach, Ochi & TobysResort, MoBay
    09: Apr-Legends, Negril
    09: Dec-Legends, Negril
    10: Apr-HolidayInnSunspree, Mobay & SeastarInn, Negril
    10: Nov&Dec-SeastarInn & FunHoliday, Negril & SunsetResort, Treasure Beach
    11: Mar-FootePrints & NegrilBeachClubCondos, Negril
    11: Sep-Legends, Negril
    12: Sep-SeastarInn, Negril
    13: Mar-Match Resort & Bay View Resort, Port Antonio & El Greco, MoBay
    13: Dec-SeastarInn & Shields, Negril & VerneyHouse, MoBay

User Info Menu

I am curious......you say Just Natural has great food and service yet you give it only two stars.
    Last edited by Mr. Twister; 08-29-2011 at 03:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I could go three but its location makes it how with almost no breeze a bit hot but that is not a problem at breakfast time. really splitting hairs, but like the name says lots of natural goodies

User Info Menu

Thank you Living the Dream. I did see your post but appreciated your email.

User Info Menu

Did you hit Chicken Lavish? It's very good too. Also Seaview sports bar aka Corner bar has excellent conch and chicken.Plus the atmosphere is fun.