Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first timer needs advice

User Info Menu

first timer needs advice

I've decided to go to Negril in January/February and I could really do with some tips as to what hotels I should look into. I'm a single girl in my early 30's, and want to live near the beach and hopefully within walking distance of some good restaurants and bars. Renting a motorbike or car is out of the question since I can't operate anything remotely motorised. I'm hoping for a vacation with balance between relaxing and funfilled. Hopefully I will get to know some people while I'm there as I would go mental if not. So not only do I need advice on where to stay, but also where to hang out. I do enjoy dancing, especially to rocksteady, ska and reggae (that's mostly why I chose Jamaica), but I'm not the one for trhee storey discos. I'm guessing there will be a couple of spots for me to check out?
    In advance, thank you

User Info Menu

I always go solo to Firefly. It's on the beach walking distance to all the beach night spots.Great food and best drink prices.Great restaurants and bars nearby including Sunbeach,Best in the west,Alfreds,Coolspot,Charela,Coco la Palm.Great location in the middle of the seven mile beach.They serve great pancakes there too.They also are one of the only clothing optional places left on the beach if you desire to go natural.You can only be natural on the beach though.You must have bathing suit on,once you step to the bar and in the rooms area.Secrets cabins are really priced around 40 to 50 a nite.Very nice but bathrooms are a few steps outside.Prices go up from there and they are offering a great deal right now for 60 a nite for the other rooms which have bathrooms and some with kitchens and all the way to the penthouse.

User Info Menu

utenlov - Welcome to the board. You will definitely get better advice if you give us an idea of your budget. There are tons of good, clean, safe hotels from about $50 all the way up to several $100's/night - and any would meet the requirement of on the beach walking distance to good restaurants, bars, and nightlife. The same with food - do you tend toward local food where the locals, and us budget tourists, eat - or do you like high-end dining? You can eat well at places where $30 is enough for all 3 meals, all the way up to places where that will barely even cover just dinner.

Don't worry about getting around - there are route taxis all over during the day and early evening, and regular taxis at closing times.
    To acquaint yourself with the area, and see where hotels/bars/restaurants are that get recommended, this map is one many of us use: http://www.maherconsulting.com/negri...p2011final.pdf

For nightlife, there are way more than a couple of spots. There are live and DJ beach parties every night of the week, usually a couple parties each night - most regularly scheduled depending on the night. Here is a good listing of that to print out and take with you - http://www.negrilonestop.com/negril_nightlife.shtml
    A couple parties that are not mentioned there, but many locals attend:
    Sunday night beach party at the park near the craft market - dancehall
    Rocky Wednesday Party at On the Rocks on the cliffs - DJ
    But there are also random parties and sometimes big acts that come thru - notices for thost get posted on billboards at the round-a-bout.

A good way to meet fellow Negrilaholics, who can give you advice and fill you in on the latest goings on, is to attend Rob's live webcasts.
    Here is website with his schedule - http://realnegril.com/

Enjoy your trip to Negril!
    08: Jan-NegrilTreehouse
    08: Nov-RoomsOnTheBeach, Ochi & TobysResort, MoBay
    09: Apr-Legends, Negril
    09: Dec-Legends, Negril
    10: Apr-HolidayInnSunspree, Mobay & SeastarInn, Negril
    10: Nov&Dec-SeastarInn & FunHoliday, Negril & SunsetResort, Treasure Beach
    11: Mar-FootePrints & NegrilBeachClubCondos, Negril
    11: Sep-Legends, Negril
    12: Sep-SeastarInn, Negril
    13: Mar-Match Resort & Bay View Resort, Port Antonio & El Greco, MoBay
    13: Dec-SeastarInn & Shields, Negril & VerneyHouse, MoBay

User Info Menu

Thank you both! Off course I should mention my budget, I guess i was to caught up in the thrill of the decision of going that I completely forgot. I'm hoping $100-150 a night, but can go up to $200. As for dining I might do the fine dining thing once or twice, so local it is!
    I've read several places that as for spendingmoney one should go with $100 a day, is this still the going advice?
    This is my first time ever travelling alone, I've spent the odd day alone on other vacations but nothing like this. As I tend to get a little nervous in forehand I much appreciate all the advice I can get!

User Info Menu

In that hotel price range, you'll have a wide choice of beach-side hotels.
    And the $100/day will easily cover you for the type of eating you describe and your drinks (unless you're a really big drinker).

Your budget is higher than places I have stayed and can recommend from experience - like Legends, Negril Beach Club Condos, and Tree House - which are all close to the nightlife action. But then again, prices I am used to were during low season and discounted from their regular rates by using the various travel web sites - you will be in Negril during high season.

If I had your budget, I know Coco La Palm always gets good reviews and recommendations, and is centrally located on the beach. I see they even have an Early Bird Special going right now for the time you will be there:
    http://www.negrilonestop.com/cocolapalm_rates.shtml
    It would me my first choice, given you seem like AI is not what you are looking for - you mentioned you hope to walk to many nearby bars/restaurants.

Re traveling solo - this thread was from a traveler who worried she would end up solo for a few days.
    Had lots of good advice and reassurance.
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...ng-is-a-mess-(

User Info Menu

I love the junior suites at CocoLaPalm. If you book through a travel agent, breakfast is usually included, and the breakfasts there are really good. Also located within walking distance to lots of good restraurants, bars, etc. Check out negrilonestop.com.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Buckeye_1 View Post
    Re traveling solo - this thread was from a traveler who worried she would end up solo for a few days.
    Had lots of good advice and reassurance.
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...ng-is-a-mess-(
    this thread that Ohio Buckeye mentions basically covers a lot of your questions..........
    it's actually a common question here on the board.....

your budget is higher than most that I have seen on here..........
    so you can basically choose any place on the beach which is pretty awesome.......
    though I would concur that Coco LaPalm probably would be your ticket.........even though it's under your budget
    Beachcomber Club is another option but more money than Coco LaPalm.......nice place too
    on a return visit you'd probably be ready for a place like Bar B Barn.........sumthin more Jamaican

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

I would also agre you cant go wrong with Cocolapalm, Grand Pinneapple is also a good choice on the all inclusive side its usually reasonable enought that you can venture off for dinner and entertainment at night and ease your way into Negril.

User Info Menu

I also recommend coco la palm!

If you were to decide to go A/I I would recommend Hedonism II, where you would be sure to have lots of company and non stop partying (or not) if that's what you would like, and a single share room is there is well within your budget too!
    Hedonism July 2-9, 2011
    Next Reach Unknown?

User Info Menu

lol that's my old thread.. feels like a long time ago that I was panicing like that lol Utenlov one thing I can say (being I'm going on my first trip to Jamaica in 25 days!!) the people of this board will make you feel as if you never had anything to worry about and the information and resources they can provide are more than you can imagine. Have a great adventure as I tend to.