Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Once again, we need to inform you about..

Administrator

User Info Menu

Once again, we need to inform you about..

a Facebook situation since we do offer a Facebook connect feature. This is created by the TOS (Terms of Service) of the Facebook Mobile Messenger app. If you have downloaded this app, the article in the Huffington Post, "The Insidiousness of Facebook Messenger's Mobile App Terms of Service" is a must read.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-fi...b_4365645.html

From the article, here are a few of the more disturbing things you have agreed to when you use the app:

"word for word, a few of the most aggressive app permission you've accepted.

Allows the app to change the state of network connectivity

Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention. This may result in unexpected charges or calls. Malicious apps may cost you money by making calls without your confirmation.

Allows the app to send SMS messages. This may result in unexpected charges. Malicious apps may cost you money by sending messages without your confirmation.

Allows the app to record audio with microphone. This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation.

Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.

Allows the app to read you phone's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. This permission allows apps to save your call log data, and malicious apps may share call log data without your knowledge.

Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals.

Allows the app to read personal profile information stored on your device, such as your name and contact information. This means the app can identify you and may send your profile information to others.

Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.

Allows the app to get a list of accounts known by the phone. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed. "

-----------------------------------------------------

There is no way that Negril.com would ever create any application that would invade your privacy. We do not even allow your email addresses to be used by anyone. One of our previous managers years ago allowed that once, needless to say they no longer work for us. We value your privacy.

But for the Facebook Mobile Messenger app to use your contact info, camera, microphone, video, etc without your knowledge or confirmation is something anyone using Facebook should take seriously. While using their app, they can record anything you say, take your picture, video the place where you are, find out who and when you talk or text people and keep track of what your friends and family say or send to you. This is the privacy you give up when using the Facebook Mobile Messenger app.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Once again, we need to inform you about..

GTFO.......

Man I'm glad I don't use Facebook.......
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Wow. I don't use Facebook either...and I have a rotary phone...

User Info Menu

This kind of crap is exactly why I flat out refuse to use Facebook, or allow anyone in my household to use it either. Evil company.

User Info Menu

Evil?

User Info Menu

another reason i do not use f.b., soon come

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Georgie View Post
    Evil?
    Yes, evil.

User Info Menu

invasive indeed

User Info Menu

glad to see that I am not the only one who has no interest in FB
    Rosalie
    Once u go u know

User Info Menu

this is not the 'regular' Facebook that's used on a computer or laptop - this issue is not universal to Facebook itself.

the invasive 'permissions' listed here, which this app requires consent to, are only with the Facebook MOBILE app... the FB app that is installed and used on a cell phone.