Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st time to Negirl, Jamaica and the Riu resorts. Any info will help plz?

User Info Menu

Question 1st time to Negirl, Jamaica and the Riu resorts. Any info will help plz?

My husband and I just booked the Riu Negril for the end of January for our friends 50th b-day. There is about 20+ people going. We've done 9 cruises all in the Southern Caribbean and started spending week long villa rentals in the Caribbean.
    I/we have never had a desire to go to Jamaica, to many good, bad and ugly stories we've heard over the yrs with bad and ugly being the worst of them all. For our dear friend we have decided to give it a try. Who knows, hopefully we end up loving it as much as we do the Southern Carib.

PLEASE any insight on what you know of the Riu Negril Resort would be helpful as well as things we SHOULD do and not miss in the Negril area? Of course if you have anything that we absolutely should NOT do as well, please let us know?

Thanks in advance for all your opinions. Excited and well very nervous at the same time. Some things we love to do formost drink and have a great time. Love the beach and swimming. Snorkeling, para-sailing, deep sea fishing, shopping and of course eat tons of shrimp & lobster.

Hope you can help us, Coronawomen - beer is always COLD and great with a lime

User Info Menu

You will have a great time. You'll feel safe inside those gates and all of those activities will be available to you without leaving your resort. But don't fear leaving. Jamaica is known for it's warm and friendly vibe.

Some basic tips:
    1. Bring lots of US singles for tipping. Tip well. It's worth it.
    2. Negotiate cab fare before getting in the cab.
    3. A ride to most restaurants in Negril should cost you nothing, you can call ahead for a free shuttle to and from at most of the bigger ones. Your front desk will handle this with a couple hours notice.
    4. Negotiate all prices. You should end up paying about 60-70% of the first quoted price, at most, for carvings, tees etc. Be polite, and walk away if you're not comfortable.
    5. Enjoy your stay in Jamaica, once you go, you know.
    6. Check out a sunset or two from the West End (cliffs).

...others may have better advice...that's my $.02

P.S. Try a Red Stripe.
    Last edited by brasi; 08-31-2011 at 05:48 PM.

User Info Menu

I suggest that on a monday; hail a cab to the Red Dragon for some outstanding Jerk Pork. Get there about 12:30 when the stuff is real hot and get a small taste of some Real Off the Track Jamaica. Any cab should be happy to fit in four people for the ride over for about $10. U.S. one way. A short treck back into town, and turn left to stop off at the fruit market for some goodies. Then a 100J cab ride back to RUI.
    This mini adventure is well worth it.
    ...Oh By the way, order a rum and ting when you are there.....you will enjoy it I assure you

User Info Menu

If its your first time I would say you have to check out Rick,s Cafe for the divers and sunset.

User Info Menu

THANKS so far for the great ideas. Keep'em coming PLEASE

User Info Menu

Red Dragon is open 7 days a week and the only day they do not serve jerk pork is on Sundays

User Info Menu

Coronawoman, no worries. Negril is one of the most beautiful places on earth. You will have a great time. Everything you need will be available at the resort, but don't be afraid to get out a bit see some of the area. At first since you are apprehensive, go to some of the more well known places (as poolguywindsor suggested Rick's for sunset, Seastar for the Saturday night party, etc.) you can get in some great partying while enjoying the sites and island vibe. Once you feel a little more comfortable with your surroundings, the smaller local places will let you experience the amazing vibe, great food, music and people that has so many of us coming back again and again.

User Info Menu

Here’s my 2 cents…

Having already paid for the all you can eat and drink, you’re going to find it hard to get off the property with all 20 people. In other words, you have 1 maybe 2 nights when you will leave. If you can get the entire group to agree to leave the property, I would suggest renting a tour bus and going to Rick’s for sunset. Plan on getting there around 4PM, have a few drinks, watch the cliff divers (even try it yourself, it’s a great feeling if you can get up the nerve) stay for the sunset then go back to the RIU for dinner and drinking. Rick’s is very expensive… very touristy and the food is not very good but it is an experience for 1st timers. The sun sets around 6 or 6:15 in January so you would be back at the RIU by 7:30 for dinner.

There’s also the reggae parties at Alfred’s and Bourbon Beach; I think they alternate on Tuesday and Thursday nights. This would be a good trip for the entire group. I love the fire eater @ Bourbon Beach. As with everything there is a downside. For the reggae parties it’s the hasslers, cover charges and sand fleas/no see ‘ems. I wouldn't suggest Sea Star on a Saturday Night because it would just be too crowded to try to hang with 20 people.

If you can only talk one or two other couples to going off property with you, I would suggest a sunset dinner at one of Negril’s finer restaurants. My first suggestions would be either the Rockhouse or Catch-a-falling-star up on the cliffs. You will need reservations at these places, my suggestion would be to make it for 5:30 and enjoy a 2 hour meal. My other suggestion would be to walk the beach to either Norma’s or Kuyaba for dinner (reservations again around 5:30). A taxi back would probably be best call. Negotiate before you get in.

As for day trips, I would skip them. You spend too much time in a taxi/bus and it’s better to enjoy the beach and/or pool.

Before I get hammered for the touristy suggestions remember that they are 1st timers staying at an AI.

Corona… you will have a lot of fun doing any of these suggestions. If you are interested in a more “local” experience or just have a more adventurous group let us know. This is a great community of people and they give great suggestions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ In Mn View Post
    I wouldn't suggest Sea Star on a Saturday Night because it would just be too crowded to try to hang with 20 people.
    Great info...Russ...but, a little update....Seastar is actually fabulous for a group of 20...even more so now as they are currently in the process of expanding the dinner, dance and bar area. It's going to be great!!
    Free pickup & drop off from all hotels in Negril for Seastar Saturday night...call 957-0553.

User Info Menu

I want to echo what some other boardies have said "Get off the reservation!" You will likely be subject to sand gravity* - and at some of the smaller places that's OK because Negril will come to you! But at the larger AI's you are insulated - "gated in" - and you need to "get up and go" - Take a cab to the turnaround and spend the day just walking in any direction! Go to the craft market - MINGLE! - You will find the BEST part of going to Jamaica is the PEOPLE! The WONDERFUL people! If you stay on the resort grounds you will meet some of them - but you will miss SO many more!

(*Sand Gravity - an affliction that over takes driven vacationers in Negril, compelling them to plant their derrieres in the sand, and only arise for drinks, food, an occasional dip in the wata and bathroom breaks - not necessarily in that order)
    The Earth is the Lord's and everything in it!