Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell phone / data plan from US that works best in JA?

User Info Menu

Cell phone / data plan from US that works best in JA?

Any frequent travelers to Jamaica that can suggest the best cell phone/data plan for using in US and in Jamaica? I am there every 6 weeks or so and would like to be able to access the internet to stay connected with work. That, or does Digicel have something that could work for me? Thanks in advance for your help!

User Info Menu

US Cell plans are fairly expensive to use in Jamaica. I have had a Digicel phone for use in Jamaica for years. Digicel rates are cheaper than using US cell and even more so using their international plan. For data just use wifi for a laptop or put your smart phone in airplane mode and use wifi only. If you don't data roaming will cost you more than the trip.

User Info Menu

I have a phone question too..where can I buy a phone and minutes, and would $50 be able to cover it or would it be more? I usually get a phone from Seastar when I stay there or Clives when I use them, but I'm not staying at Seastar this trip and Clives has them for $30 a week and other than to call my family and let them know I got there okay and when I am leaving, have no plans or desire to use the phone at all, so really don't need one for a long time or a lot of minutes..

User Info Menu

Negrilaholic:

You can set yourself up with a sim card and phone for around $50-60 plus your time. If you happen to be there between Jan.14 and Feb.14 Digicel has their Valentines sale and you can do it for around $40. Once you buy it then ul always have it and you just have to buy a new sim card upon arrival(approx. 600JA.$). Or you can offer anyone some money to use their phone(buy a phone card) and that will work seeing you don't use it much. Hope this helps-respect

User Info Menu

The Digicel store is downtown in the shops behind the Burger King.

User Info Menu

Thanks ya'll. I will be sure and go to the digicel then and get my phone and card at that digicel place behind burger king.

User Info Menu

If you have time before you leave, you might want to check out eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trkp...&_sop=15&_sc=1

User Info Menu

My phone setup in Negril cost about 60 bucks -- the roaming charges were killing me before I did this -- and I've used it for two trips ... it's totally worth it, if for nothing else than to check my messages on my regular cell.

User Info Menu

We had a blackberry last trip that got "jailbroke" in Black River for @ $25 and were able to use it in JA on their network after buying a digi chip.

User Info Menu

qwe purchased a ja cell and renew the card every year, we are getting raped here in canada for travel paks for ja, soon come