Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reggae's Gone Country- new CD (various artistes)

User Info Menu

Reggae's Gone Country- new CD (various artistes)

New album was released in Jamaica and in foreign about 10 days ago featuring reggae artistes doing covers of some well loved/old time country music. One of the best tracks is a duet between Romain Virgo and Larry Gatlin of "California". Romain Virgo is of the best upcoming young JA artistes - he won Digital's Rising Stars in 2007 at age 17 (Rising Stars is JA's equivalent to American Idol). Here are a few tracks if you want to have a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1IoIcAId78
    Romain Virgo & Larry Gatlin - California

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys0GHAW9g2Y
    Beres Hammond – He Stopped Loving Her Today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROHarlDHNYY
    Luciano – He’ll Have to Go
    Ritchie Stephens – Wolverton Mountain
    Tarrus Riley – The Chair

Other tracks include: Etana (Crazy), Freddy McGregor (King of the Road), Gramps Morgan (Feels So Right), Duane Stephenson (Suspicions), Sanchez (El Paso), Tessanne Chin (Don’t it make My Brown Eyes Blue).

Hopefully most of these artistes will be performing in Negril this winter.

User Info Menu

One awesome cd, would love to get that one.

User Info Menu

They have it on Amazon.com Being from West Virginia, one would think I am a major country fan....however, I'm not. With that said, I do like the reggae versions. Really well done..especially like Luciano's and Etana's songs. I was amazed many years ago..how much Jamaican's love country music. My favorites are the old school country, like Patsy Cline. I recall bringing down several copies of Patsy Cline...one of our JA friends was thrilled and wanted more. He was so upset when I told him that there were no latest releases due to her early death. I have no doubt that this will catch on quick pon da rock.

User Info Menu

Reggae's Gone Country

How many places play this kind of music and is there country dancing as well at these places?

User Info Menu

Again....It would be soo cool to have some good country bands play Negril. A lot of Jamaican people LOVE country music, and a lot of country people love Jamaica. Roots reggae is, if you think about it, country music from another country. A Kenny Rogers concert in Jamaica used to play on Air Jamaica, and many country stars, Willy Nelson included, are now including reggae into their sound. Toots and the Maytalls' cover of John Denver's "Country Roads" is a well known example of a fusion of reggae and country going back to the seventies. Johnny Cash Retired to Jamaica and made several references to it in his music.
    So Negril Escape, and Alfreds, and anywhere else...This could be a winner for you.

User Info Menu

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm not a fan of country music either but love the music set to a Reggae beat. I will definitely order it!
    dorisw

2017 was our 15th trip to Negril. Other islands we visited: Cozumel, Mexico (4 times) St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Aruba, Harbour Island, Bahamas, Anguilla, St. Maarten/St.Martin, Ambergris Caye, Belize (twice)

User Info Menu

dem have always loved Country in Jamaica because they consider it "Roots" American music.........
    the place beside Jenny's played a ton of Country and Peaches and Cliffs also played alot of Country and Blues..........
    all near Blue Cave Castle and Home Sweet Home.........

in undergrad school I had to learn how to appreciate Blue Grass Music as that was all that was played by the Bands.........so mi have always kind of liked anything Blues..........and especially anything country with a reggae twist.....

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

BCBud, WOW! I love country and I love reggae and I didn't know that this existed either. I will definitely order it too!

Thanks!
    Hedonism July 2-9, 2011
    Next Reach Unknown?

User Info Menu

Check out an old album by the Bellamy Brothers called Reggae Cowboys, very cool summer vibes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    A lot of Jamaican people LOVE country music, and a lot of country people love Jamaica. Roots reggae is, if you think about it, country music from another country.
    This is so true, Nick.

Although I don't consider myself country by any means, the pedal steel guitar was the first stringed instrument I learned to play back in the early/mid seventies. I had the Wailers "Burnin" album and listened to Reggae but was mostly into bands like Pure Prairie League, Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco, New Riders of the Purple Sage, etc....They called it country rock back then, but back then, the only way to learn the pedal steel guitar was to listen to country music, so, I studied in Nashville under the late Jeff Newman (probably the greatest steel guitar teacher).

Now, I know I'm generalizing and surely alot has changed in 35 years, however, I came back to Ohio thinking that [collectively] those were the most racist people I had ever met. Eventually, I ended up trading my steel guitar for a "72 Strat and learned to play guitar and Reggae music.

And, through various Reggae bands, led me to becoming one of the founding members of the Ark Band (which, although I live in Florida now, I think is still around and alot of people on this forum are familiar with).

Back then, I used to joke to myself, "Man, if these (Jamaicans) knew how much these (rednecks) hated them, would they still listen to their music?"

But, if it wasn't for the negative experience I had (whether real or perceived), I probably wouldn't be married to a Jamaican, own land in Negril, 70 plus trips to Jamaica, and have virtually every Jamaican fruit tree growing in my yard (in other words, my entire life centered around Jamaica). Hell, maybe I'd be playing at the Grand Ole Opry or something.

So, I guess the only thing I can say is, YEE HAW!!!!!
    Check out "Negril Story"
    Parts 1 & 2 in the
    Most Popular Blogs section

...Badman nuh badup mi