Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: "Only tourists call Jamaica 'paradise'"

User Info Menu

is there a direct correlation to tourism, and the fall of agriculural jobs? i agree totally that they need a economy more self sufficient on jamaican resources.. but in the mean time, i cant believe that if all americans stopped going to jamaica, that they would be better off.. no way..

User Info Menu

rambo - "...being a jerk to your hosts..." - Hope you're not referring to *me* 'cause i'm the nicest guy since saint teresa :-) ... Except when i'm getting into a fight with some lowlife who hassled me the entire length of 7-mile beach ... But a guy who calls himself 'rambo' can hardly find fault with that, eh?

User Info Menu

I agree. Only tourists call Jamaica Paradise.
    More Jamaicans live abroad than in Jamaica.

User Info Menu

I would certainly agree that the policies of the US do not often serve the best interests of many people throughout the Americas (and the world). I think it's a stretch to suggest that cheap tourism is even a consideration in these policies. The entire hospitality industry is exploitative, the relative impact just varies by nation. The hotels and restaurants in the US profit in part due to grossly underpaid, and in many cases illegal, labor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A_J View Post
    jamaica was better off pre-American-tourism. they had a middle class and self-sufficient agriculture once.
    What I gathered from the book was that Jamaica may have/would be better off if the British were still in power. There were still tourists when the British were in control.

User Info Menu

Life is hard in Los Angeles, too!

User Info Menu

My daughter worked at Disneyland for 3 years and it was what she called "hell" and at minimum wage less union dues plus unpaid time in costuming and having to park off site and shuttle over to the park added up to just about working for free...
    Add gas and it was a total loss...
    The only reason she really stayed so long was cause she loved the unlimited access for her and all the free passes she got for friends/family.
    Happiest place on earth??? Not for employees...

User Info Menu

kim in socal >>>>> Excellent analogy!!!

User Info Menu

I think it goes both ways. A friend of mine got married and moved to Italy a few years ago. Now he is experiencing what most of us do on a daily basis..get up, go to work, come home, and go to bed. He talks about how he misses the life he had in Jamaica...while he may be making more money, he no longer has a "life". It's gone from work to live to live to work....
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A_J View Post
    spottycatz - you go way back, eh? well, security at footeprints these days is a big muscleman named Michael (for real), and good ting that is, because you can't walk 10 feet on the beach without being hassled to death by the lowlifes that hang out next door. The country has gown downhill, mon...
    Been back seven times since then A_J and will be going again in April. Never had any problems with 'lowlifes' in Negril. Maybe I'm a different kind of person!!
    Rise early, treat everyday as though it's your last and your last day as it's your first.