Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Only tourists call Jamaica 'paradise'"

User Info Menu

"Only tourists call Jamaica 'paradise'"

That's a quote from Ian Thompson's wonderful book "The Dead Yard" (worth reading).

Life for most Jamaicans is very hard.

All you Negril-aholics out there, does this not bother you? Just wondering...

User Info Menu

No.

User Info Menu

Life for the vast majority of people in the world is very hard. I try to make a small difference in the quality of life when I see a need wherever I am.

We could bring back "paradise" if we look around and see the abundance that Jah provides instead of chasing materialistic ideals. Greed, corruption and chasing the dollar are ruining paradise worldwide.

User Info Menu

Life is hard in in most of the Caribbean, does that mean we shouldn't travel there? I think it means we should all go as much as possible to stimulate their economies and put more to work..

User Info Menu

Being married to a Jamaican and spending time with family each reach as well as supporting them financially throughout the year, I am keenly aware of what "real life" is like in Jamaica.
    It does not diminish my love of Jamaica or my enjoyment of the time I get to spend there, but it does give me a different perspective than the typical tourist.

User Info Menu

Our first ever trip to Negril in 1988, we stayed at Footeprints. In those days as longtimers will remember, things were much quieter. The 'security' at the hotel was one Lincoln Cameron, a rasta of advanced years. We stayed for two weeks and near the end of our holiday, we were sitting on the beach in the evening with Cameron, talking about stuff. We asked if he had ever left Jamaica or been anywhere else. He answered most honestly, ' No mon, everyone who comes here tells me that this place is paradise, why do I want to go anywhere else'.
    A true tale, but relevent back in the day. Is it still? For us it is, We don't wish to spoil the illusion. Life's too short!!
    Rise early, treat everyday as though it's your last and your last day as it's your first.

User Info Menu

Being a tourist Vs. living in Jamaica-two totally differnent ways at experiencing that Island...(and yes, great book I may add) If you think Negril is all about Jam.-couldn't be more wrong...Like comparing apple/oranges thing...
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

tanks for de replies!

goldilocks - well said.

jasperso - sorry, disagree.

ras walleye - me too, but i don't support mi wife's family. maybe you are de better mon? :-)

User Info Menu

Negril is but a small part of Jamaica, and if I was a Jamaican I would not want my life or thoughts based upon what does or does not happen there...................looking through their eyes, all of us now live in paradise,................ when in their lives do they even image ever having the amount of money what we spend on air fare alone?........and its every year !

I would look at us as "rich" also...........

Its not WHERE we spend our time in "paradise" but rather the quality of what we do with that time................................

In every country I have been in, I have felt the desire to show that we can be nice no matter who we meet........the way past people have treated them, that alone can be a chore...............so if your desire is to go to Jamaica and be a "jerk" to your hosts.....do me a favor, go elsewhere, and help make my goal easier.
    Please?
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

Life is very hard for most of the Caribbean people who face grinding poverty as a result of extremely high unemployment rates together with the ever rising costs of educating children, utilities (water/sewer and electricity), food costs, transportation, etc.

A movie came out a couple of years ago titled “Redemption in Paradise’ filmed mostly in Antigua (doubling as the mythical island of Paradise) with mainly Jamaican actors & crew which tackles the problems of crime, gangs and corruption. I haven’t seen the movie as cannot find it online to buy, but will try to locate when next in JA.

Here is the movie soundtrack featuring Tarrus Riley, Macka Diamond, Duane Stephenson, Lady G and Barbee;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NXTalAZf8Y