Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance on a car

User Info Menu

Insurance on a car

Can cars in Jamaica be insured for any driver like at home?
    Would that cover a tourist driver?
    If I used for instance anyone living on the islands car would the insurance cover a person a tourist to drive it?or do you do that from home or is that not possible at all?

Administrator

User Info Menu

If you are thinking of renting (hiring) a car from an individual, JUST like at home, you would not be covered under the private passenger insurance that most individual owners have covering them. This is the same world wide, even in the UK. There is a stipulation in the insurance agreement that you will not be hiring out your car or the insurance becomes invalid. This is the reason that legal, legitimate car rental companies pay higher rates for their insurance coverage.

The only exception that you might be able to legally use would be if your husband, being Jamaican, borrows a car from one of his relatives while on the island. There would have to be a mutual understanding that no legal payment can be made for the use of the vehicle, or their coverage would not be in effect.

Please note that in Jamaica, most cars are insured for only third party coverage, meaning there is no coverage on any damages to the car itself, only the things it would happen to damage if at fault. Any damages incurred while driving the vehicle may have to be paid for directly from your own pocket.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Would there be coverage if the car was used for free with no payment going to the owner?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Jefmaka,

If there is no family/blood relation and you are a tourist visiting the island, there would be virtually no incentive for anyone to let you borrow their car for anything less than an emergency. Considering the circumstances, it would be well within in the right of the insurance company to ask you to prove why there was no payment for use of someone's property. How could you prove that? And please remember that any barter arrangement would count as payment, so saying you brought stuff for them and they let you use the car would mean the car was hired out.

Insurance companies have lawyers working for them whose job is to find legal ways not to pay a fraudulent claim. What would you have on your side to contend this matter in court? And of course you would have to attend the court hearings at your own expense or a warrant for your arrest could be placed on you when you would return to the island.

So in simple terms, driving a car from anyone other than a legitimate rental company puts you and those in the car as well as the other drivers on the road at risk. So.... dont do it....

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob, If it was a family members car who let you use it free of charge just helping you out
    It would not have insurance for any driver which would cover the tourist would it?
    Is it then possible to phone their insurers to get covered for any driver which would cover the tourist?Or would the tourist had to be insured from his home country to drive any car?
    Sorry for the tricky question.
    Here in England someone cannot use your car unless they themselves are insured to drive any car or the car is insured for any driver to use it which usually means the person has paid high insurance costs.

Also if it is possible to insure the car through their own insurers over in Jamaica to cover for any driver to drive it (including a tourist) how much is car insurance roughly in Jamaica is it crazy prices?What kind of figure do you think we would be talking?
    I would never be driven in an uninsured car as we would not be covered incase of an emergency or accident we would be liable for hospital costs upfront something which is not the way to go

User Info Menu

I have been in the property and auto insurance industry since 1980. Without seeing the actual contract, I am not in a position to provide advice on exclusions or limitations relating to drivers or anything else. It is certainly possible that only specific drivers are covered so be very cautious.

Make inquiries directly to the insurance broker involved or, if necessary, the insuring company. Make sure there is full disclosure of the circumstances without misrepresenations. Having documentation is highly recommended. An email would do just fine.

User Info Menu

Rob,
    In my case I gave a friend some money, last year, to help her get a car. This year, when I get back and if she would offer the car to me to drive, would I be uninsured? That would be the reason for the free car.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jefmaka View Post
    Rob,
    In my case I gave a friend some money, last year, to help her get a car. This year, when I get back and if she would offer the car to me to drive, would I be uninsured? That would be the reason for the free car.
    Jefmaka - Rob won't be paying the potential loss and therefore is in no position to answer your question. Your dealing with legal binding contracts subject to a variety of terms and conditions. Check with the insurer or broker of record. They and they alone can accurately answer your inquiry.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Jefmaka,

While I am not paying any potential loss, I also have been involved in the property and auto insurance industry since 1980 (which is an odd coincidence) and am familiar with the auto insurance contracts in Jamaica. Without being added as a named insured on your friend's insurance policy, you would not be covered as a tourist in Jamaica to drive the car. The fact you gave them money for the car and they are letting you borrow it is an obvious barter arrangement and would not be covered under the standard insurance contract.

I have seen this happen more times than I wish I would have, and even while everyone is well-meaning, that does not make the insurance coverage extend to good intentions. Craig123's advice is wise - you will need to contact the insurance carrier/broker and be completely above board and forthcoming with the true and accurate representation of the facts in the matter. Any misrepresentation or falsehood made would make the insurance coverage null and void.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Tic,

The best answer for you questions have been stated by Craig123 - you will need to contact your insurance company/broker in the UK and the Jamaican insurance company/broker to determine what is and is not covered. As for a price to be added to a policy in Jamaica or changing the policy to allow tourists to drive the car, my guess is it would be less expensive to rent a car from a legitimate rental company than adding you and all the potential extra drivers to the existing policy.