Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Controversial but important question

User Info Menu

Controversial but important question

Some of us have discussed Accompong before.There is an Accompong maroon festival on January 6th.Has anyone been to this event.Are non Jamaicans welcome?Or is it and should it be a closed event with no intrusion?

User Info Menu

It has been open to the public - Jamaican and non-Jamaican - for quite some time now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TiCtOc View Post
    Some of us have discussed Accompong before.There is an Accompong maroon festival on January 6th.Has anyone been to this event.Are non Jamaicans welcome?Or is it and should it be a closed event with no intrusion?
    I wouldn't know what would be "Controversial" about asking but here is what I can offer.

The January 6th Celebration of Cudoe's Birthday is an annual event that takes place on the 6th and can spill over a day or so on either side of the 6th if it falls near a weekend. There is a gate charge to enter the town on that day and the Celebration is open to all that want to go. I personally have attended the 1999, 2001,2003,2004 and 2006 Celebrations and each has been a quality experience for me. As a backround, the town of Accompong was founded shortly after the signing of the Peace Treaty of 1738-39 with England. The town is run by a Maroon Council and an elected Colonel who adjudicates all disputes except a capital crime where the offender must be turned over to the Jamaican Authorities. Since 1739 there has only been one case of a capital crime when a man was killed over a fight involving a woman.

Finding a place to stay during this time is difficult but not impossible. Many resident rent rooms and there are a couple of guesthouses in the town proper. It is, however, not a necessity to have a place to stay as many people just stay up all night anyways. There is usually a big stage show (have seen Beenie Man, Fanton Mojah, Shaggy, Buju, etc. at different times). Also the big sound systems of Ricky Trooper and Killamanjaro play in makeshift pens around the town. Lots of good food and a friendly, relaxed atmosphere makes it unlike most venues in Jamaica.

Here is a video I particularly like that shows it best.

Respect.

User Info Menu

I stay out in place not too far away from that area...It is a great party for sure..Something that shouldn't be missed if you have interest..and definitely is a different (more chill vibe) atmosphere..
    Some Rastas I know consider that date to be like their "New Year" celebration date.
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

the title of your thread confused me as well "Controversial"? I have read some great blogs on Accompong. Would love to go sometime.

User Info Menu

BTW, forgot to add. I live part of the year in Accompong Town and I am not in the Travel Agent Business so in that matter you are "on your own" but, I will be there from Christmas Time to past the Celebration on January 6th. If you make it there, I will be happy to sit and talk over a cold drink. Living as I do amongst the Maroons is both at different times a very humbling and an extremely satisfying experience. Perhaps it is from that perspective that I often shy away from tourists and touristy things but love an adventure!

Peace and Guidance.

User Info Menu

Great video..captures the vibes for real!! I went Jan 2011 and had a ball. I took local transP from Sav to Santa Cruz and again local taxi up to the Festival. I stayed overnight at a nearby Village (Eldersley sp.)
    If yu plan to use local taxi there, yu may need to stay overnight because its would be challenging to find taxis running often after 6 pm ...
    Hope you decide to go ....