Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing money?

User Info Menu

Changing money?

Do we HAVE to change money? We are staying AI on the beach, but will be heading out for dinner on the cliffs here and there, and have transportation, etc arranged. I just assumed they would all take US dollars. What would we need to have JA for?

User Info Menu

Re: Changing money?

Sure they'll take your U.S. dollars almost everywhere. A lot of places price their menu in U.S. dollars.
    They won't have U.S. change for the most part.
    You will likely get a better rate by using Jamaican currency though, especially at grocers etc. and taxis.
    After all; they're accepting your foreign money as a courtesy.

User Info Menu

Any one will take American money. The exchange wont usually be as good as if you exchanged at the cambio but if you only plan to go out a few times you will be fine. Don't bring big bills if you don't plan to exchange. Big Frank is right. For the most part you will get Ja for change.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I would say not to worry. Pay with US and most places give you Jamaican dollars but it probably won't be very much. Stop at best in the west and try the jerk, use it to tip your maid, tip your driver. Etc.

User Info Menu

You change money to JA because you'll pay less than paying with USD. Change at the cambios or use your ATM card, do not change money in the USA or at the airport, you'll get screwed.

The other reason is because you're a guest in the country, and the official currency is $JA. You'll peg yourself as a newbie tourist for one, and it's just a bit arrogant to think "What would I need the local currency for, I just assume they'll take my US dollars!"

User Info Menu

We have never used anything but U.S. $$. You will be fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
    it's just a bit arrogant to think "What would I need the local currency for, I just assume they'll take my US dollars!"
    I don't really see how it is arrogant to assume that when every place I have called/emailed for quotes on transportation, entrance fees, tours, etc. have given the quotes in US dollars. If US dollars weren't expected or anticipated, then I would think the quotes would be in JA dollars. When I travelled to China, all the quotes, transportation, etc were quoted in Yuan. Therefore, I expected to pay in Yuan. Your answer was a bit jerky, just so you know.

I was just wondering what, if any, need I would have for JA dollars. And I don't consider getting a not so good exchange for US dollars such a big deal, if it the people I am paying in US dollars makes out a little bit more, I'm cool with that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to absolutely need it to get around, etc.

User Info Menu

To answer your question ... You'll be quoted in US dollars ... but, know the exchange rate ... as you'll most likely get J's in return
    As well some places have higher & lower exchange rates..beach vs. westend / one bar vs. another
    prices for drinks & meals are quoted in US .. @ most places
    I personally "get a kick "out of seeing all those 500 & 1000 dollar bills ..
    No stress, spend your US or J's as you please
    Have fun !!

User Info Menu

Buggy there is always one (Harry). Most gave u good advise. Enjoy and have a ball.

User Info Menu

I always change out for JA, but if you don't want to it's always a good idea to have a lot of ones, fives, and tens handy. At the least print out a cheat sheet and keep it with you so you know the basic conversions. http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/
    “Indecision may or may not be my problem.”