Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Buying Junk on the Beach

User Info Menu

Re: Buying Junk on the Beach

My favorite souvenirs are paintings. I have one form Karl Ricketts I like especially.

User Info Menu

Well today and tomorrow we are waiting here in New England on an "Arctic Blast" to blow through so reading Negril.com (Thanks Rob) warms me up from the inside out.

I was lucky over my early visits to Jamaica to buy souvenirs that were definitely home made (Jamaican) that I still have including some palm woven baskets, hats, black coral jewelry (before it was protected) as well as other items that I knew benefited the artist. Perhaps in the cities at that time (MoBay, Kingston) there were off shore made products but I can not remember many. There was a guy in Negril that was a wood carver named Sammy who has a stall by the bridge at what at that time was where the craft shops were set up. He was a very talented carver / artist (if he is still around would be in his mid 70's) who was a soft seller who would invite you in for a look, offer a puff and not be up tight if you did not buy. He carved the big African (Rasta) themed face and would finish it with shoe polish for colors. Very nice work. Back in those days US Customs were very suspicious of the large and heavy carvings coming in from JA. A big score in those days for me were 45's that were current hits in JA that rarely made it to the States. I still have stacks of them, bought in Sav and Kingston for like a buck USD. Blue mountain coffee and Appleton rum were rare in the US too.

Enjoy your day, week, life,... wherever you are....

User Info Menu

I don't remember seeing mason's shop when I was there last month , did I miss it or has he moved?

[/url]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Negril1990 View Post
    I don't remember seeing mason's shop when I was there last month , did I miss it or has he moved?
    Sadly, Mason (and his shop) is no longer there.

Not sure on all of the details. The "Brain Doctor" told us that he now has a little place set up in Green Island that he carves out of and sells his art.

We didn't follow up on that though. I hope he is doing well there.
    "Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."
    -- E. Gary Gygax

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    There was a guy in Negril that was a wood carver named Sammy who has a stall by the bridge at what at that time was where the craft shops were set up.
    Haven't seen Sammy in years, but have to agree he is an awesome carver. We have 2 or 3 of his carvings.
    BTW he was a really good singer too and had a second career doing that, so maybe he's a star now.

User Info Menu

Name:  274.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  87.2 KB
    Wesley's work - craft market - purchase
    super nice guy

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Buying Junk on the Beach

I purchased this carving from a vendor on the Rose Hall golf course for $US 20 in 1992. I find it quite unique in that this is was the artist's interpretation of a golfer and the golf swing. It seemed like he carved what he observed. Also he has blackened the left hand to represent the golf glove and blackened the parts of the shoes to represent traditional golfer "saddle shoes". He was probably conflicted about the hair and beard and restrained himself and did not give the subject a "full dread". I still call him my "Rasta Golfer" and look on him fondly from time to time for the memories of 1992.
    Name:  rasta golfer.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  88.5 KB

User Info Menu

Is Mason the same guy as the Sandman who does carvings, with sand from across the island. He was next to Niah's , i have several of his pieces.

User Info Menu

I buy a carving from Mason about every other trip, but since I've been there many times, I really don't pay much attention to that stuff anymore. Obviously you want to look at the place of origin.

User Info Menu

Fun and cool golf piece.