Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying Junk on the Beach

User Info Menu

Buying Junk on the Beach

Buyer beware if you want to buy stuff made in JA.

I bought a crochet rasta hat at Waves park last week, only to be devastated when I later found a small tag saying "made in China". One reason I come here is to support Jamaicans, but I'm guessing none of that junk is made here.

User Info Menu

Re: Buying Junk on the Beach

The tip-off should come when you realize that literally all of the vendors have the same stuff. The exception are carvings, but even a lot of those are mass produced.

User Info Menu

i understand how ufeel frank....but look at it this way, your still supporting the locals by simply buying from them. But as tah said, if you really want something made in jamaica your best bet is probally carvings or necklaces....and of course dirty bananas....the best ones i ever had were made in jamaica!

User Info Menu

A lot of the 'carvings' come from offshore and are simply finished by putting a shoe polish finish on them. For instance the walking canes are mostly the same machine cut sticks and are just finished in Jamaica, not made there. You need to find a good local carver and pay for something custom-made if you want the genuine article.

User Info Menu

Fruit is a sure bet.
    Last edited by BostonBob; 02-17-2015 at 10:11 PM.

User Info Menu

I live in a tourist city that sells multiple-millions of dollars in junky, trashy, 'souvenir's' annually. The great majority of it; made in China.
    Not putting Negril goods or carvings down; just noting that most tourist goods, from almost any city around the world are now made in China or someplace other than
    the country in which they are sold. Just be aware.

User Info Menu

Tourist crap everywhere is made in China. As is a lot of what we use...... Alibaba?

User Info Menu

Pretty sure the subs I purchased were 100% grade A Jamaican

User Info Menu

If you are looking for local carvings, go see Mason. He is down from Niah's Patties on the beach, just north of Tony's Hut. He does some great work and he is always willing and able to take time out to talk to you.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I had a chat with a local woodcaver ..last reach & let him know that the only way ..to go is ...
    ONE of a kind ..
    no cookie cutter /run of the mill ..I've seen it 1000 times ...goods
    As some of us ..have been to Ja. ...X # of times
    I look only for true artisians
    & yes, Mason is one that I would put in that conversation .. Coinmon (RIP) ..another