Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Summerset Lane?

User Info Menu

Thanks everone for chiming in- it certainly helps.

Rob n lisa- I never got a chance to thank you guys. On our last reach/ honeymoon, hanging out with you 2 was super fun, we appreciate your kindness n will see you both in Feb! Keep shining you two!!! Thanks again, murph n sara

User Info Menu

"there's a *new*-crew in town, now-days"
    I actually find that Summerset Road is "nicer" now than it was several years back. I have no problem walking on that road in daytime hours...at night, well, I don't walk anywhere that is dimly lit or sparsely populated at night anymore.

User Info Menu

I don't think it's a new crew...but a lack of a definable crew. It's less populated since I've been living here and according to Rob way less populated since it's peak time....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    I don't think it's a new crew...but a lack of a definable crew. ..
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

are you-SAY-ing:::>> dem need a more-organized crew..??..
    ...kind-sorta like a garrison perhaps/maybe..??..

ummmmmmmmmmmm
    i like that idea

like it a lot
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smith744 View Post
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

are you-SAY-ing:::>> dem need a more-organized crew..??..
    ...kind-sorta like a garrison perhaps/maybe..??..

ummmmmmmmmmmm
    i like that idea

like it a lot
    Ummmmm....sorry, NO....I don't think like that!

I was referring to a lack of a definable neighborhood...there's not many people on that road. Mostly hotel workers going to & from their jobs.
    A good example....if you travel down Seastar Lane...everyone knows everyone one...there's a comfort level in this neighborhood...everyone watching out for everyone.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Rob n lisa- I never got a chance to thank you guys. On our last reach/ honeymoon, hanging out with you 2 was super fun, we appreciate your kindness n will see you both in Feb! Keep shining you two!!! Thanks again, murph n sara
    (((MURPH n SARA)))!!!

User Info Menu

use to live down at the end of Summerset Road when I had the cottage.......
    and was back in the neighborhood again when I stayed at SeaStar Inn last reach........
    back in the 90's the road was newly paved with Devine Destiny just being built.......
    and Summerset Village has been there forever.........Bella Donna is at the start of Summerset
    and Sharks Restaurant and a few other establishments use to be located on Summerset........
    and a few cottages sprinkled in here and there........
    tourist use to walk up and down Summerset on their way to their respective resort or to the wata.......

a lot of things have changed now with a lot less business at Devine Destiny and Summerset.....
    and then Sharks moving, the foot traffic has dropped significantly....so yes it's a lot less populated
    and not really what I call a neighborhood as there really aren't that many residents on Summerset..........

you won't really have any problem walking around during daylight..........everyone's friendly........
    but the road isn't lit at night and I rather see people be safe than sorry so take head when there at night....

back in the 90's we use to be able to drive down Summerset and bang a right on the wata road and drive by mi cottage which brought you to SeaStar Lane.......but some squatters have put dwellings on the right of way so now you can't drive thru to SeaStar anymore.......

now in between Summerset and SeaStar Lane you now have the "Village" which is squatters with their board houses........
    there has been some references to it on here........it's their own likkle community and kinda fun to check out during the day........

mi favorite neighborhood is Pee Wee Lane or now called Ella Drive.........right across from Pee Wees........

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

My godson's place is on Summerset. When his Mom first got the place the neighborhood was fairly dicey - but the good, hardworking folks there worked hard to clean it up and now...at least from WE road to Devine Destiny the neighborhood is just that - a "definable" neighborhood with great people living there, looking out for each other, all friendly. I'm not comfortable walking past Devine Destiny because I see that area the way Bnewb described...less definable, more desolate...not much really going on and no one really around. But these days Summerset Lane is a lot nicer/friendlier than it used to be 15-20 years ago IMO.

User Info Menu

Well, I hope it's not too dangerous, as I will be staying at Summerset Village myself this November from the 7th to December 3rd. They offered me a great deal on a room with air conditioning and tv and mini fridge, so I went ahead and put the deposit down and plan on paying for the rest on the 1st of October. They have rooms with kitchenettes for $500, but they are fan only, and ac is a must for me. I figure how wrong can I go paying $250 for the month, you know? I don't plan on wandering around at night, but am figuring it should be okay to walk up and down to the main road then catch a route taxi to where I want to go like the beach or even a place on the cliffs to hang for the day like Xtabi. I don't plan on walking it at night at all, I haven't walked down that road, but from what I know it's not that well lit, so would take a taxi all the way back to Summerset Village instead of letting me off at the corner of the road, at the end of the day, that's for sure. And even in the daytime, plan on keeping my wits about me and not traveling with any large amounts of cash at all. I don't have my expectations up that high, as long as the ac works and the bed is okay I will be all right, and everything after that is gravy. They do have a pool, and a restaurant and bar on the premises, and will have to see how they are when I get there. If worst comes to worst, I just won't spend a lot of my time there, only to sleep, but might be spending more time there if it is halfway decent.

I am not sure how much of this is still the same, but Summerset's own site has a part called the "neighborhood" and it describes some people in it...here's the link: http://www.negrilvillageresort.com/Neighborhood_1.html

I guess it will be interesting to find out who is still there and who isn't..will find out for myself soon enough.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rastagirl777 View Post
    My godson's place is on Summerset. When his Mom first got the place the neighborhood was fairly dicey
    RG,

I know your godson and his Mom, as well as the other people on the road back in those days, including Birdy and his wife and their son. It was certainly a different day back then, a real neighborhood is what it was... unlike now with that yard being fenced off and many of the others leaving the road...

Negrilaholic,

The Neighborhood tour is a bit outdated, some of the people mentioned are no longer on the road. Other's mentioned are not on Summerset but near by.... so.... please be sure to meet Bella Donna and Dr. Quailty and Faye.... and dont be hesitant to use their names should you feel uncomfortable...

Back in the day, Summerset was a great place to walk the road, in fact, I utilized the walk as rehabilitation after a car accident in Ohio. But until things change, I have to error on the side of caution...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!