Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Summerset Lane?

User Info Menu

One of the hardest things is to find a cap dat fits all people. Some have military training and are afraid of nothing. Some are blind drunk or crazy and afraid of nothing TOO! Some are "Nervous Nellys" and afraid of anything that moves. Most are just everyday, fun-loving people who want to explore a little but do so safely at the same time.

To that last group I would say "Summerset Lane" is as safe as anywhere in Jamaica most of the time. If you want to parse that down and ask questions like: "When is 'most of the time"? and "How 'safe' is SAFE"? and other belly-button self-examining questions then you should probably stick to the main roads or consider a whole other country to visit.

Peace and Guidance.

User Info Menu

Thank you for that reply.

User Info Menu

For whatever it's worth, after reading this thread I would not stay on that lane and I am far from a nervous nelly! I take it the lane is NOT safe but that everyone is trying to stay PC and in "dont bash Negril" mode.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irie_Dawta View Post
    For whatever it's worth, after reading this thread I would not stay on that lane and I am far from a nervous nelly! I take it the lane is NOT safe but that everyone is trying to stay PC and in "dont bash Negril" mode.
    To paraphrase an old saying "A hill looks like a mountain to an ant" is kind of like "making a mountain out of a molehill".

It isn't about "bashing Negril" or not it is more about personal perception. If I get a feeling that anyplace is not exactly right for me, I leave it or don't go there in the first place. Crime is usually the result of an "opportunity". Take away the opportunity; you probably will eliminate the crime from happening in the first place (most of the time).

Jamaica is generally a poor and struggling country and tourists are generally seen as rich. I am far from a Nervous Nelly too but I would walk Summerset Lane anytime that I perceived it to be "right for me" (me being the operative word in that statement. Everything in Jamaica carries some level of risk or danger but, then again, that is what makes Jamaica so vibrant and alive.

Peace and Guidance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post

To paraphrase an old saying "A hill looks like a mountain to an ant" is kind of like "making a mountain out of a molehill".

It isn't about "bashing Negril" or not it is more about personal perception. If I get a feeling that anyplace is not exactly right for me, I leave it or don't go there in the first place. Crime is usually the result of an "opportunity". Take away the opportunity; you probably will eliminate the crime from happening in the first place (most of the time).

Jamaica is generally a poor and struggling country and tourists are generally seen as rich. I am far from a Nervous Nelly too but I would walk Summerset Lane anytime that I perceived it to be "right for me" (me being the operative word in that statement. Everything in Jamaica carries some level of risk or danger but, then again, that is what makes Jamaica so vibrant and alive.

Peace and Guidance.
    Yes, but you are far more experienced with the culture, with the real Jamaica and it's people - not just Negril and the tourist scene. I think that makes a difference when deciding how/when/where to walk.

User Info Menu

"For whatever it's worth, after reading this thread I would not stay on that lane and I am far from a nervous nelly! I take it the lane is NOT safe but that everyone is trying to stay PC and in "dont bash Negril" mode. "
    And that is your perogative, for sure. I re-read the thread and took note of the positives and negatives presented here...and by whom.

As far as being in "don't bash Negril" mode - I personally like to tell it as I see it, speak my truth so I stand by my original statements. It is up to each individual to guage their own comfort levels, KNOW how they like to travel to make a decision as to where they'd like to stay.