Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone Questions

User Info Menu

Re: Cell Phone Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    You got a good deal. I wonder if that was part of some type of package. I remember paying a-la-cart for the SIM plus minutes, but this was a couple a years ago. I still have the same SIM and just top it before each trip.
    Yeah, I'm not sure. I know the sim was around $6 itself, the rest was minutes. Lime is cheaper yet. We always carry a Lime phone as a backup, and I always re-up that one for like $3 every trip (assuming the sim isn't expired, which is totally unpredictable).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanP View Post
    Not 100% positive, but I think you may be subject to roaming charges, unless you use the DigiCel network to call home. I would make sure, before I tested it out.
    Not with international minutes.

User Info Menu

Update from last week:

Went to Digicell at Mega Mart in MoBay and was told that they do not accept American or Foreign ID's anymore.
    She told me she could only sell sim cards to Jamaicans...
    I had a hunch she was lying as I was already cut in line twice with her waiving those behind me to the counter...
    So I went to the customer service desk and they said "what?" and they said they would look into it...

Maybe she was just having a bad day but I will never go back to MegaMart as the prices were not any better than the HiLo in Negril...

Just be aware, she said the "new" Digicell system does not take foreign ID's.
    May not be a fact, just my first hand experience...

Got a loaner sim from a local driver to use with my JA cell and bought some minutes at the HiLo and was good to go...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kim in socal View Post
    Update from last week:

Went to Digicell at Mega Mart in MoBay and was told that they do not accept American or Foreign ID's anymore.
    She told me she could only sell sim cards to Jamaicans...
    I had a hunch she was lying as I was already cut in line twice with her waiving those behind me to the counter...
    So I went to the customer service desk and they said "what?" and they said they would look into it...

Maybe she was just having a bad day but I will never go back to MegaMart as the prices were not any better than the HiLo in Negril...

Just be aware, she said the "new" Digicell system does not take foreign ID's.
    May not be a fact, just my first hand experience...

Got a loaner sim from a local driver to use with my JA cell and bought some minutes at the HiLo and was good to go...
    I was told the same thing at Mega Mart last week, luckily I had a local friend with me. Also, this is the second store I asked for a nano sim card and was told both times they do not have them. You can buy a sim cutter online for a few bucks and cut it yourself if you need another size.

And I concur with the prices in the place. I see no reason to go back to Mega Mart.

User Info Menu

I've always dealt with the Digicel store in the BK plaza

Always well satisfied with the customer service

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

I just web chatted with Shaneka at Digicel, it went like this

[Agent] Thank you for contacting Digicel Customer Care.

[Agent] Good day this is Shaneka your agent today. How may I assist you?

[kim chastain] the megamart digicel desk in mobay is telling american tourists that digicel no longer sells sim cards to anyone with a non jamaican id, is this accurate?

[Agent] Currently we are not aware of that policy. We will have it investigated, kindly allow me to check to advise further.

[kim chastain] thank you Shaneka

[Agent] Still checking, kindly remain connected.

[kim chastain] the girl at megamart said the "new" Digicell system does not take foreign ID's

[Agent] At present we are not aware of that policy. We apologise for the inconvenience you are currently experiencing as a result of this. Your request will be sent to the dealer relations managers for further review.

I think the staff at megamart will receive some additional training, soon come.

User Info Menu

I use T-mobile in Jamaica. They charge only 20 cents a minute and unlimited text in Jamaica. Use my own phone and never have to do the digicell shuffle. If you have Jamaican friends they are all using WhatSapp which is free. Sounds like not many use t-mobile, but I ended up spending $6 on calls my last trip. To call another country I just use wifi connection at the hotel so those calls are free.
    Last edited by kbisiar; 04-28-2015 at 08:38 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/kbisiar

User Info Menu

We went to Digicel in MegaMart on the 17th, and the woman working there told me she did not have any SIM cards. I asked if I could get one at an actual Digicel store, and she said, "Yes". I went to the Digicel store in Negril one morning, and was told that the system was down and that they would also need ID to give me one. Went back later that day, and system was down again. Coincidence? I never ended up getting a card, and just used a loaner from our driver. Is there a national shortage on SIM cards in JA?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanP View Post
    We went to Digicel in MegaMart on the 17th, and the woman working there told me she did not have any SIM cards. I asked if I could get one at an actual Digicel store, and she said, "Yes". I went to the Digicel store in Negril one morning, and was told that the system was down and that they would also need ID to give me one. Went back later that day, and system was down again. Coincidence? I never ended up getting a card, and just used a loaner from our driver. Is there a national shortage on SIM cards in JA?
    I've never had a problem, but you do have to have ID no matter where you buy.

User Info Menu

RyanP said "We went to Digicel in MegaMart on the 17th" - We went the same day...

What is really up with Digicel?
    I just need to know prior to going somewhere and wasting time waiting in line to hear "NO foreign ID's Accepted".
    Digicel (at MegaMart) should put up a sign or something saying "No foreign Sims Sold Here"!

What sucked is I spent weeks loading #'s for drivers, restaurants, etc.. and ended up having a few days with NO phone...

How is this good for JA business?