Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone Questions

User Info Menu

Cell Phone Questions

Was going to try to bring our own unlocked GSM (will accept a SIM card) cell phone, this time. Does anyone know if digicell uses the old regular sized SIM cards or the mini? Any idea how much one of these is with minutes? Do I need to go to digicell to get a SIM card, or do they have them at places like MegaMart and HiLo?

User Info Menu

Re: Cell Phone Questions

The digi sim I have is a "normal" size sim. I believe the only difference between each size is how much plastic "boarder" remains around the sim chip (the gold part). You should be able to cut it down to smaller size if needed. You're better off going to a digi store. You should be able to get a sim and some minutes for around $25. I'm not sure if you can get just a sim anywhere else. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin, PA View Post
    The digi sim I have is a "normal" size sim. I believe the only difference between each size is how much plastic "boarder" remains around the sim chip (the gold part). You should be able to cut it down to smaller size if needed. You're better off going to a digi store. You should be able to get a sim and some minutes for around $25. I'm not sure if you can get just a sim anywhere else. Maybe someone else can confirm?
    A SIM and minutes should be less than $10.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    Thanks. If I need to go to DigiCel store, do you know if there is one on the way out of MoBay?

User Info Menu

I believe there's one at the Megamart.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanP View Post
    Thanks. If I need to go to DigiCel store, do you know if there is one on the way out of MoBay?
    Not really sure, we always just do that in Negril.

User Info Menu

Yes, there is both Digicel and Lime desks at MegaMart

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    A Digicel SIM card, itself, is less than $10 and they is sometimes have a deal where they throw in $200J credit for free. If you add-in the international plan (so you can call home) and top-up enough minutes for a week's vacation it will be closer to $25.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    A Digicel SIM card, itself, is less than $10 and they is sometimes have a deal where they throw in $200J credit for free. If you add-in the international plan (so you can call home) and top-up enough minutes for a week's vacation it will be closer to $25.
    Well, I just got back and did exactly that and it was under $10...

User Info Menu

Digicel SIM card costs about 800$J, best from the Digicel shop in Negril (next to Burger King).
    Includes a small amount of minutes, but they go a long way.
    Typically, a 4 minute call to Europe costs in the region of 100$J.
    They should have a stock of all SIM card sizes (android and iPhone).