Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Directions from Negril to Ochio Rios please

User Info Menu

i hired a driver to take 5 adults to Ocho Rios - not sure if that is the same as Ochi? anyways - he took us to dunns river - then to a jerk stand, then shopping in mobay and then back to negril = $250 -9am to after 7pm.. i can give you the drivers # if interested.. driving yourself MAY be cheaper - but i feel safer with a local driver - and if you have even a small accident or trafic violation stop = renting a car might cost you well more..

just my opinion
    jason

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone I was looking at an older website I think Rob it did not show the prices like on the link you just shown me ,reasonable prices though.
    tours and drivers for this trip are definately out of the questions so I will rent one of those cars or stop on the way back to Montego bay.I will have to call my driver from South coast to ask how much that would cost.I do not know how long extra that would take.
    If it is far out of the way or not Mandeville to Mobay and stopping at Ochios Rios en route.
    This day trip will be special to me I will be meeting a little child I have thought about for a long time.I will find a way

User Info Menu

Tic if you look at this google map link it should give you directions from Mandeville to ochi to Mobay
    http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ma...ra=ls&t=h&z=10

User Info Menu

Ocho Rios really isn't on the way from Mandeville to MoBay, you'd have to cut east at some point, make a triangle.

How many people do you have? The cheapest thing would be to take public transport. Negril to Lucea then MoBay to Ocho Rios. I think that trip is under $10 - per person. If you have 5 people then you can probably get a deal from Vernon that is comparable in price.

The drive from Negril to Ochi is all highway, mostly 4 lanes, too...but narrow in the towns as you pass through Lucea, Montego Bay and a couple of towns as you approach Ochi (Discovery, Runaway, etc). So not a bad drive, by Jamaican driving standards.
    Last edited by ohliz; 09-24-2011 at 03:03 PM.

User Info Menu

way too far mon........unless you are there for an extended vacation

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Thanks Ohliz looks like we will rent a car for the day.I do not have the $1500 deposit though so not sure what deal I can come to about that.
    Which is the correct insurance to purchase?
    What if there is a car accident?My travel insurance would cover me wouldn't it?Or does the car insurance cover it?

User Info Menu

tic most UK travel insurance doesn't cover dangerous activities driving in Jamiaca is a dangerous activities

Administrator

User Info Menu

After reading several of the actual travel insurance contracts offered in the UK, there is wording to the effect that "We will not cover any activity considered to be dangerous that is not listed below" and while motorcycles are listed, there is absolutely no mention of driving a car, which by its nature is a dangerous activity. I would take that to mean that you are not covered.

In addition, there are several areas specifically not covered regarding vehicle use.

There is No Personal Liability "arising due to you owning, possessing or using mechanically-propelled vehicles, watercraft or aircraft of any description".

Also, there are No Legal Expenses that will be paid from "Any claims arising out of you owning, possessing or using mechanically-propelled vehicles, watercraft or aircraft of any description".

This would mean that anyone or anything hurt or damaged while driving a vehicle would have to be made right out of the driver/renters own pocket, there is no coverage. And that you would pay for any all legal expenses arising from any accident.

Tic,

After checking the wording on several standard UK car insurance policies, there is wording to the effect that when driving other cars "If Your Certificate of Motor Insurance permits You, we will also cover You, the policyholder, for Your liability to other people while You are driving any other private motor car which You do not own or have not hired or leased." This would mean your standard UK car insurance policy would not cover you while hiring and driving a car in Jamaica.

So as suggested before, get the car insurance offered by the rental company for the extra $$ per day - it would limit your risk substantially should any damage occur. Please be sure to check with the rental company as to the coverages available, the deductibles and out of pockets costs you would still incur should an accident occur.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I don't mean to offend tic, but some advise dad always gave me - if you can't afford it - don't do it.. accidents can and do happen..

User Info Menu

I cannot afford to hire a tour company for this but I think the car hire is possible.Great information Rob I will have to find out more as I will not drive unless covered to the hilt especially concerning medical costs