Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First trip to Port Antonio..Fly into Kingston or Montego Bay?

User Info Menu

First trip to Port Antonio..Fly into Kingston or Montego Bay?

Planning a split trip.. Port Antonio then Negril. Any and all info on getting to Port Antonio would be appreciated. First question is it it better to fly into Kingston instead of Montego Bay? I've been to Jamaica over a dozen times but always flew into Montego Bay.. not sure about the ease of flying into Kingston and getting transportation to Port Antonio.I know Kingston airport is closer but is it the better choice? I"m excited about seeing a different area of Jamaica but I'm finding its a bit harder to get information on Port Antonio than Negril. Also... I"m considering Moon San Villas... anyone have first hand info staying there? Thanks in advance for ANY help I can get on setting this trip up.

User Info Menu

Re: First trip to Port Antonio..Fly into Kingston or Montego Bay?

for Port Antonio i would fly into Kingston and plan to fly out of Montego Bay
    Moon San Villas sounds nice -- I would call them for a recommendation for a driver
    I noticed the price from Kingston to PA is about $160 --- from Montego Bay it's ridiculous
    To get to Negril you may want to try the Knutsford Express (bus). I've heard excellent things about it.
    Some of the trip reports over here are very detailed and may help you with hotel and things to do.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Thanks Seveen! I was thinking along the same lines as your recommendations.That's encouraging. I actually already emailed Knutsford Express about the Port Antonio to Negril route. One thing I haven't found out yet is where exactly I"d get the bus in Port Antonio and where the Negril drop off is. I"m sure the info is out there.... just need to look I guess. Thanks again and I'll probably be stalking the Port Antonio boards for the next couple months.

User Info Menu

here's the link for the bus - cheap

http://www.knutsfordexpress.com/

User Info Menu

fly into kingston, then catch the knutsford from kingston to pa via ochi.....coming back you'd go from pa to ochi to negril. you may need to spend a night in kingston if the bus times and plane arrival times don't jive. I'd recommend new kingston because thats where knutsford is located. I stayed
    in moon san villa in the master suite. loved waking up seeing the ocean and the stars and fire flies at night. it also was close to the road and easy to catch a route taxi. onestop is a good place to look. they can recommend a driver for nighttime if you feel you need it but i did route taxi with no problem. oh and i did the bike ride on the mountain, part of the room package. Please let me know if you need any more info.

User Info Menu

I just did a criss island trip to PA and 5 nights. I'll give more detail tomorrow

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone! Keep the info coming! We're only staying 3 nights... any must dos?
    Babelew~ Did you book thru negrilonesotp or direct with Moon San? I"m so happy to find someone with first hand info on staying there, any and all tips are appreciated. The upstairs master suite is what I am hoping to book. Also was hoping to do the bike tour, but not sure with us only having 2 full days there if it will take up too much of the day. How long were you gone on the bike tour?
    Flip~I will be anxiously waiting for your post...
    Last edited by shell; 06-03-2015 at 06:59 AM. Reason: wanted to add something

User Info Menu

We stayed at Norse Point. Not sure what your budget is or how many people you are staying with. But for a couple, it was perfect.

http://www.norsepoint.com/

We rented a car in Negril and I drove us across the island. It was not really a difficult drive. Most of the north coast is good driving, and easy driving. Really the worst part was Lucea due to people just walking in the road with no regard to cars :-P. If at all possible, I would STRONGLY recommend renting a car. Nothing is really close by in Portland. Most of the cool beaches and places to see are at least 10 mins apart. It will make thing MUCH easier, convenient and cheaper in the long run to rent a car.

I would recommend going to check out Boston Beach and getting some jerk. The locals can get a little annoying on the beach, but mostly all they want to do is run up to the jerk centre and deliver you food for a tip.

Woody's low bridge is worth a stop for dinner and some homemade Ginger beer.

Winnifred beach was our favorite beach we visited. Nice and wide. Laid back. Couple Little bars set up to get a 2 dollar red stripe.

We enjoyed going to the Market in Port Antonio, as well as the Marina for a few drinks, also a stop at a couple local bars on Folly Road - The main road headed east along the coast out of PA.
    Last edited by Flipadelphia26; 06-03-2015 at 07:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Shell i booked directly with moon san, transferring monies via bank of america. the bike tour takes up most of the day. you'd have to catch a ride to buff bay to connect with a bus coming from ochi, the owner arranged a charter for too much money, route taxi definitely cheaper. you had lunch before you did the ride....i did a small trip report. Breakfast is included during your stay and dinner can be arranged. Hope this helps, let me know if you have anymore questions.

User Info Menu

Kingston is closer but not always economical check all of that then make a sound decision. Knutsford has opened up the road to PA, can't ask for a better price, but also found like Babalew mentioned times can be off. It's cheaper by far to get a driver from Kingston but like mentioned also factor in the flight cost, etc.

I would suggest Bayview Villas and also Mrs. Scott's place in Fairy Hill -Vi posted photos in her report. Mrs. Scott has several units at the back of her house all with private entrance, some with a/c one or two with a full kitchen and it's priced well. 876-388-1129

Ms. Cherry at Woody's is a saint and I love her food and rum punch. Must do's like mentioned Winnfred beach, Frenchman Cove, Boston Beach, Reich Falls and Rafting the Rio Grande also lunch at Boston Jerk Center. If you happen to be in town in a Saturday night a check out Trident for Jazz night or Friday night the Jolly Boys at Geejam

if you need a driver Kemar Mckenzie lives in the area, can be trusted and priced well. 876-891-6171 dainianm@gmail.com Also his brother Warren McKenzie 873-883-9081 wgam84@yahoo.com

Going to be honest a split stay with only three nights in PA will be a lot because of how far Portland is from Negril I think if budget allows (save money by staying at Mrs. Scott's place) I would hire a driver to take me from PA to Negril to save time.

Whatever you decide so glad you are considering PA you won't be disappointed!