Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Negril ! :)

User Info Menu

Greetings from Negril ! :)

This isn't an onsite trip report but I will get to the report upon my return.. 2 nights in Negril wicked wicked beach party last night, good times.

I'm looking for a rental car .. preferably a private rental no credit card required... does anyone know where to look for this sort of thing?

Lots to catch everyone up on .. I'm having a blast!!!! Jamaica is hot hot hot and beautiful. Now I know .. once you go you know ..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Manda81 View Post
    I'm looking for a rental car .. preferably a private rental no credit card required... does anyone know where to look for this sort of thing?
    I would discourage you from trying a "private rental"...if anything happens to you or the car or you get into an accident or get pulled over for any reason you are screwed.

Many places will rent you a car with a cash deposit. I think Vernons at Fun Holiday will. It's a big cash deposit required though.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the report.We have been wondering if all is well!!-Enjoy the life in Jamaica!!!_Bless!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Manda,

For a bit more detail on OhLiz's post - I posted this a ways back in a Tictoc thread asking the same thing:

If you are thinking of renting (hiring) a car from an individual, JUST like at home, you would not be covered under the private passenger insurance that most individual owners have covering them. This is the same world wide. There is a stipulation in the insurance agreement that you will not be hiring out your car or the insurance becomes invalid. This is the reason that legal, legitimate car rental companies pay higher rates for their insurance coverage. The car insurance for the person you rented it from would not be covering you as well since you are renting the car... essentially you would have no insurance coverage at all.

and if you think you can get away with saying you "borrowed" a car....

If there is no family/blood relation and you are a tourist visiting the island, there would be virtually no incentive for anyone to let you borrow their car for anything less than an emergency. Considering the circumstances, it would be well within in the right of the insurance company to ask you to prove why there was no payment for use of someone's property. How could you prove that? And please remember that any barter arrangement would count as payment, so saying you brought stuff for them and they let you use the car would mean the car was hired out.

Insurance companies have lawyers working for them whose job is to find legal ways not to pay a fraudulent claim. What would you have on your side to contend this matter in court? And of course you would have to attend the court hearings at your own expense or a warrant for your arrest could be placed on you when you would return to the island.

So in simple terms, driving a car from anyone other than a legitimate rental company puts you and those in the car as well as the other drivers on the road at risk. So.... dont do it....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Hi Manda. My professional advice to you is to take Rob's advice VERY seriously. It's excellant advice. Avoid having your dream vacation turn into a nightmare. It's not worth the risk.

User Info Menu

Great to hear you're having a blast...Manda! Continue to enjoy!

User Info Menu

Manda FYI,

I have the required relationship with my Jamaican family and can document it. However I wouldn't even think of borrowing a car from my son (he has 2). Yes. I do ride with him or my "nephew" with a white plate but I carry my old work permit and residency card as well as proof of ownership of my yard and relationship with my adopted kids. Still, if I were to meet an accident it would be a major PITA to go through what would be necessary to prove all that in some court in Sav.

As I've said before...route cabs are cheap and plentiful...and the drivers know where the potholes are (grin)
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Go to Vernons see what they suggest and ask around let me know what you find .DO NOT NOT NOT give anyone any money to just borrow a car lol no matter how much they sweet talk you.
    The roads are quite dangerous not as many traffic signals and road bumps and safety barriers around steep cliff edges as at home so drive carefully.Get every single insurance you can.The insurance fees seem very reasonable so buy all of them!For tryes,bumps to other cars, bumps to your own and personal accident.Where you planning on going Manda? Happy you are having a good time give us the low down you cannot leave us all hanging!

User Info Menu

All is good i've rented

User Info Menu

Manda if you tell us what area you want to get to someone may be able to tell you how to get there easily and safely.There is a route taxi system in place and you can get all over the island really inexpensively.It is a very good system that runs regular