Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Cheap cell phones in Negril

User Info Menu

Cheap cell phones in Negril

I stopped at the Digicell store near the roundabout yesterday with Rob & Lisa. I was looking for an inxepensive cell phone for use in my extended stays to Negril. In the past, I've always borrowed a friends phone.

I'm pleased to say that you can purchase a brand new Samsung phone for $1,850J (+ gct). The phone is pretty basic but includes text, FM radio and MP3 player. I'm very happy with it.

The GSM card, if you don't have one already, is $500J extra.

I'm very happy with my phone and wanted to share this great offer with others who may be coming down to Negril soon.

User Info Menu

Hey Tom,
    Thanks for the insight, as I am hitting town tomorrow and this serves very well.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for posting this information. I was considering renting a phone from my rental car company, but this price for a phone will make it much more sensible to just buy one.

User Info Menu

thanks, I will be getting the most basic model when I get there in November.

User Info Menu

I picked up the phone that Tom mentioned and with 1000 international and 125 local minutes and walked out for a little over 4000J. Agree it makes sense too much to just buy one and have it for trips going forward.

User Info Menu

we bought one 3 years ago, it is the best way to go, soon come

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    I picked up the phone that Tom mentioned and with 1000 international and 125 local minutes and walked out for a little over 4000J. Agree it makes sense too much to just buy one and have it for trips going forward.
    All that for under US $50??? That's amazing.
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M

User Info Menu

I believe the pricing. I got essentially the exact phone with SIM from Claro in June for around $25. I had a Claro phone from Alfred's Taxi and just transferred my credits on that phone to my phone, easy. I bought some minutes at Claro, but then used EZETOP to top up the phone because they had some BOGO sale on the website.

When Digicel buys out Claro, I hope that my SIM will still work and I don't lose minutes....
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon