Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for a Negril Newbie???

User Info Menu

Check out realnegril.com and find out when the webcasts are and go there! You will link up with great people - some boardies from here and more who will have more ideas and fun things to do than you will have time for!!!! (So, you'll have to go back!) In fact, tell your friends back home to log in and watch you wave to them and know they will be drooling on their keyboards, in total jealous mode! Canoe is a wonderful spot; the One Love Pub Crawl on Wednesdays is great fun and you will see a lot of the cliffs! If you can negotiate it, a trip to Blue Hole near Sav (Savanah-la-mar) on Roaring River is awesome! There are also some neat caves near there. Appleton Rum Tour is a good giggle and there is a palm reserve in Negril that really neat! Don't pack a full kit of make up - it will just melt off anyway, but plenty of conditioner (especially a leave in one) will be great for the many sea-to-pool-to-sea-again days!

There is a great little bar at the end of the cliffs (the Pub Crawl usually goes there) called (help me out, Boardies, I never get the name right ...) LSU, or LTU, - anyway, it's a fab place with great burgers (say hi to Aubie for me!). Personally, I would go to LTU or Catchafillingstar (Cliffs) over Rick's, which I find over-rated. Check Negril Escape for live reggae, but I'm not sure if the One Love Concert Series is on in October. Oh - yeah, there's a superfun little country bar (I know! C&W In Jam! Who knew!!). Ask anyone where the country and western bar on the cliffs is .... I will look through my pictures and get the name.

Bnewb ????? And the infamous Red Bar!!!????

See, the list is endless ..... once you go, you know!

User Info Menu

You will have a great time! As far as good reggae shows--keep your eyes out for the signs along the road and on the beach advertising, they change the signage and keep it current. Roots, Alfred's, Boat Bar, Bourbon Beach and sometimes some other places have shows different days and times during the week. The Jungle is more of a dancehall, club vibe--and wasn't really my kind of thing as I prefer more roots reggae. That said, I did go on one of my trips and had fun checking out the scene. Explore the beach--stop at different spots, and don't sweat the vendors. Sure they can be aggressive at times, but for no thank you was all that was needed--or even just a shake of the head indicating no. They never bothered me--but maybe they can tell I am not made of money. And I have had some great conversations with some of them that had nothing to do with them trying to get me to buy anything--just talk and chit chat about life in Jamaica.

I wish I were in your shoes and going there in a few days time, how exciting!

User Info Menu

M&G...the first bar you mention is the Love Nest also known as Firewater....not sure they're cooking food now or in the future...will have to check on that.
    The Red Bar? Do you mean Red Dragon or the bar I always stupidly call the Little Red Bar (lol) which is the No Limit Bar.

User Info Menu

The best advise I can give you, is to get to a webcast and hang out with Rob and Lisa. They know the ropes better than anyone down there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    M&G...the first bar you mention is the Love Nest also known as Firewater....not sure they're cooking food now or in the future...will have to check on that.
    The Red Bar? Do you mean Red Dragon or the bar I always stupidly call the Little Red Bar (lol) which is the No Limit Bar.
    Yes! That's it!!! Love Nest aka Firewater that used to be LTU or LSU or something! Yes, that's it! No more Aubie-burgers? Bummer! But still, a spectacular view and fun little place! Oh, both! The No Limit Bar is the Little Red Bar I meant, but I totally fogot about Red Dragon and it's jerk pork!!!!! How could I forget that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kind View View Post
    The best advise I can give you, is to get to a webcast and hang out with Rob and Lisa. They know the ropes better than anyone down there.
    Agreed. They have even answered the same question numerous times for me as the short term memory is a little shot.

User Info Menu

Who is Rob and Lisa? Are they long time locals in the area running a business or tour. If so would be nice to know those from the good ole days of Negril.

User Info Menu

Awww...geez...Kind View...thanks, but I'm still the newbie down here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Dwata View Post
    Who is Rob and Lisa? Are they long time locals in the area running a business or tour. If so would be nice to know those from the good ole days of Negril.
    Rob owns Negril.com and Realnegril.com...he's been living in Negril full time since 1994/5...part time for quite a few years before that. Bnewb aka Lisa...that would be me!

Welcome to the board...Sweet_Dwata! What years did you live in Negril?

User Info Menu

"Yes! That's it!!! Love Nest aka Firewater that used to be LTU or LSU or something! Yes, that's it! No more Aubie-burgers? "
    LTU is very much still alive and kicking and not too far down the road from "Love Nest/Firewater". Don't know what an Aubie-Burger is but maybe you are thinking of Pickled Parrot? Gone a long time now...

I know Love Nest as Sir D's - that's how me and mine refer to it at least. Sweetest view of the sea on the West End for sure.