Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tips for a Negril Newbie???

User Info Menu

Aubie was running Love Nest/Firewater/Sir D's for short while this past spring/summer.
    He was serving food which included burgers at that time.

User Info Menu

Us dollar is prefered. Many travel and shop in Miami or ask family and friends to buy stuff where US$ would help. Also the black market for US$.

I make large purchases in JA$, better bang for the buck but do small purchases and tip in US$. I don't wish to have a ton of JA$ at the end of my trip so I limit my currency exchange.

Administrator

User Info Menu

While the us$ is preferred over many other countries currency since the us$ is more readily convertible into any currency someone may need, there is no real special "black market" value for the us$ exchange as there was years ago. You will receive nearly the exact same rate to exchange money from the cambio or bank as you would from some person asking you to exchange money on the street.

And please remember that there are many reasons not to ever exchange money on the street... from counterfeiters to scammers to con artists...

For any potential "benefit" you may think there might be for a better exchange rate, the axiom "if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is" should be foremost in your thoughts...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

The BEST place to change your money is at a Cambio, Many Boardies have their favs (mine is the one inside HiLo). As Rob says changing money on the street isn't a good idea, also the rates at your hotel aren't always as good as you get at a Cambio, and my other usual word of caution check with your bank about any charges there maybe on debit and credit cards

User Info Menu

Yes - check out the Blue Cave Castle while you are at Teddy's for food. Also, read Island Odyssey, a novel set in Negril during the early 1970s long before it
    became the hot spot that is today - a nice glimpse into the roots of it all, just as Reggae was about to launch, etc. Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TVG54A. Or hard print: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/francislynn

Francis Oliver Lynn