Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ATM at Sangster for arrivals

User Info Menu

"Having been there 40 plus times ...I say: don't use an ATM, I have encountered a $6 fee plus a fee on my bank account back home! Yes two fees each transaction! If you're doing $100 a day it really adds up. The bankmart that newb mentioned is good and there is the other kind of hidden one down town and there is on on the beach road( Makes no sense but NO Signs out front) it's in front of Bourban Beach and across from Times Square. We stay at Bar-B-Bar so it;s out our front door, cash $100 or $200 a day and you're golden no banks on Sundays or holidays. Use the cambio in the airport for a starting $100 or $200. "

Counter-point to the above: I use the ATM all the time - now I'm not pulling out as much money as you are...and my bank charges a percentage as a "foreign transaction fee" so if I pulled out the equivalent of $100USD (I use the machine by HiLo, only if that's down do I go to Scotia and I always pull out in JMD) my fee would be $3.00 - similar to what some of the cash machines (non-bank) in the states charge. Its worth it to me for the convenience. It is up to the individual if it is worth it to them and worth checking with their bank how their foreign transaction fees work...I say if you are paying a percentage you are A LOT better off than a flat fee and I think ATM's are the god-send of the international traveler!

As far as Cambio selection, it depends on where I am in town - I'll use Banmark if I'm closer to home, HiLo if I'm running errands downtown.

I've never even thought to use the airport cash machine....if you are bothered by the beggars by Scotia, I'm not sure how comfortable you'd be at the airport ATM? Wouldn't know for sure never having used them but lots and lots of people around that's for sure. Since I usually arrive late afternoon in Negril and I'm anxious to get home I use USD the first evening I'm there and hit the Cambio in and amongst the errands I'm running the following morning.

I never ever use any airport money-exchange place...they SERIOUSLY jack you on the exchange rate be it in Montego Bay or Paris.

User Info Menu

Experiences can be so different. I don't agree with the warning not to use ATM's

As I've mentioned, my particular Credit Union does not charge fees - international fees or ATM fees.
    As recently as April, NCB did not charge fees with my card. Scotia Bank, however, has recently put a fee on my transactions there -- about $2. So I tend to avoid them.

I avoid the machines with the $6 fee, like Cool Cash machines not associated with a bank.

I have not encountered beggars by the NCB ATM at the airport, and have used that machine at least 15 times. That's not saying it doesn't happen, but there are usually a LOT of airport workers using that machine, in my experience, that might discourage that.

I have probably made over 100 uneventful ATM withdrawals over the years in Jamaica, and the only problems I have encountered are machines that are out of cash or out of order.

So, if anyone is considering using a debit card for ATM withdrawals, first find out if your bank charges a fee. Then decide if any fees are worth the convenience. From my experience, using them is safe if you observe the same precautions you would in the US.

Credit cards, on the other hand, carry some risk if you don't regularly check your statements. I have had 3 fraudulent charges on mine that I suspect came from Jamaica. They were reversed with a phone call or completing a dispute form. But it's not worth the hassle for me any more to have to be that vigilant, since I know the risk is higher these days. That is not to say I won't use one - I still do. Just not as often.

Again, everyone's experiences are different. I'm just putting mine out there so people have a different viewpoint to base their decisions on.
    Last edited by Nurse Marcia; 09-29-2011 at 07:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kim&betty View Post
    this is not to be confused with the exchange guy's that hang out by the valuemaster in negril. Never and i mean never deal weith these teifs. They will try to rip you off everytime! I haven't been ripped off, because i can multiply and count as well as they can, and i am not intimidated by them, i get very loud and demand an accurate exchange or my money back. Just not worth the hassle with these guy's.
    amen!

User Info Menu

Scotia was charging $3 usd per transaction...

User Info Menu

That says it all about my memory, hee hee.
    Thanks Lola.

User Info Menu

STOP PAYING ATM FEES!!

First off, I avoid trips to the ATM by bringing $500-$700 in cash for a multi-month trip, when I need more I use my Charles Schwab ATM card. I’ve been using this card for more than a year and it has been incredible. So far I used it in the US, Mexico, Canada and Jamaica and have not payed 1 penny in fees.

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...nding/checking

ABSOLUTELY ZERO ATM FEES charged by Charles Schwab and they reimburse 100% of any charges made by the bank of the ATM you use anywhere in the world. This includes transaction fees, conversion fees, surcharges, just because fees, etc. ZERO!
    Check it out. This is my main card for my upcoming RWT. Sorry, US citizens only.

User Info Menu

I have Bank of America and somehow there is a connection as I have yet to pay any fees.
    Happy holiday family time!