Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do jamaicans find it so easy to beg.

User Info Menu

In the minority here, but I am very happy to say I have friends in Jamaica. I am very happy to say that they work as hard there as I do in the states. I can say that they have never asked for what was not willingly offered, as I have never asked for what they willingly have given me. These are not people that I shared an afternoon of drunken philosophizing with and declared my friends for life. These are trusted relationships built over many years only developed after I have proven my sincerity to them and they to me, isn't that what friendhip is?

When a storm hits the island I call to check on their well being, when a tornado hits a state away from me they call to check on mine.

We share the joys of births and accomplishments as well as the sorrows of failures and deaths.

When I am headed down I call to ask what they need and they gladly pay U.S. retail for what I can provide which they might have trouble getting there or for that which I can much more affordably get here. We are not talking perfume and CD players, we are talking tools to help them with their life or technolgy to help their kids with their education. And yes every now and then just like I do with my family and friends in the U.S. I see something that just screams their name I gladly give it without expectation of recomponsation, it is called a gift ladies and gentleman.

If we believe that everyone in Negril is always working, maybe we should break away to the hills, not for an hour, not for a day, but year after year and witness how Jamaicans are really working to improve their life and give more to their children than what they were given as children.

Get out of your chaise lounges and go discover the 99.9% of Jamaicans that aren't on the beach and discover a Jamaica that adhores begging as much as some here state they do.

I apologize for my bluntness but some statements that paint an entire culture from experience derived in a fabricated piece of fantasy land does set my teeth on edge.

Sorry Rob.
    I have won many awards in a lifetime of competition and service. But the highest was offered without plaque or fanfare on a hilltop in post Ivan Jamaica. A true Rasta and a dear friend observed "Chet you are like a father of men, you see need and fulfill that need without being asked". Let us be travelers and not tourist.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your response. I will never confuse business with friendship again.

User Info Menu

Re-read a line there and realized I painted some Jamaicans on the beach as being differant than their hard working counterparts on the rest of the Island. For that I apologize. I could sit here all night and keep coming up with examples of proud non-begging Jamaicans that rise early in the morning and do not get home till late at night working hard to better their families life by providing those goods and services that make my stay so enjoyable. And god bless them for providing.
    I have won many awards in a lifetime of competition and service. But the highest was offered without plaque or fanfare on a hilltop in post Ivan Jamaica. A true Rasta and a dear friend observed "Chet you are like a father of men, you see need and fulfill that need without being asked". Let us be travelers and not tourist.

User Info Menu

As to the response to chet and coleen, i have traveled to jamaica in the past and brought gifts for the children of places i stay. I have brought the neccesities for a friend who just started their own beauty parlor, the necessities for countless people to help out their situation. I can go on and on of what i've done to help out from the kindness of my heart without expecting anything in return. But excuse me if i get a little upset because those same people in the long run have showed no appreciation by treating me like crap on my return visit. Unfortunately i haven't met really sincere long term friends in jamaica like you have. But still hasn't giving up hope. I use to give because i know how it is to grow up poor and homeless i worked my way to a better situation. I started this post because i have experienced being hungry, but thank god i never had to beg. Since traveling to jamaica it has humbled me to appreciate more of the little things i have. I have traveled all over jamaica and i do explore the country and will to continue to go which is why i can't wait to return in jan 2012. Each visit has been a learning experience. I live and i learn.

User Info Menu

Butterfly, I read within your post that you have seen more than the beach, I was not responding so much to your question in the title as to how the "no friends" and "everyone is always working" statements spoke to me. You have a good heart, helping start a beauty shop is a beautifal example. Keep that heart healthy.

User Info Menu

I haven't read all the replies yet...I will go back and do that but PLEASE your post should say why do SOME Jamaicans beg? Not all Jamaicans are beggers just as not all Americans are beggers.

User Info Menu

I would like to apologize to some jamaicans for my original post, the post should've stated "why do some jamaicans find it so easy to beg. It does not apply to all jamaicans. My boyfriend who i met in the u.s. Is a born jamaican he and his family are very hard workers and never begged for anything.

User Info Menu

oh and butterfly, I don't think you are attracting those people, it's because you are a good person and I'm sure they can tell you have a big heart. I'm the same way when we first started going, we could never just let our driver wait hours on us, we would always invite them along..by the end of the trip we were broke, it sucks sitting at the airport and can't even buy a coffee..but we learned along the way.
    I will continue to bring perfume and chocolates for the maids, and toys and clothes for the kids, but I know my limit.

Chet & Coleen, you are lucky to have found such friends and they are lucky to have you!

User Info Menu

Butterfly - he asked b/c he had nothing to lose by asking you as there are so many tourist that do end up sending money. I think I would just choose to leave him alone as he has ulterior motives. There are enough drivers that you can hire and like you said separate friends from business.

I have a small group of friends in Negril that I easily call friends. They have never asked for anything and I don't have to pay for them for anything. One of these friends is also our driver but I do make sure to pay for that as it's only fair. Then there are those people that are "friends" that ask for everything. As soon as they see my cooler on the beach they are quick to ask for a beer or bring an empty cup for something to drink. The first few times, I don't mind sharing but they seem to come around all day every day. I'm trying to still figure out how to put a stop to it without completely cutting them off from me sharing with them.

User Info Menu

I like this thread. I have often pondered some of the points made here and Rob and Chet's posts really hit home.

Most of the reasons for me going to Negril revolve around the people I meet, both on this board, and at resorts, on the street etc. What never has been within my grasp is KNOWING if the Jamaican folks I meet actually like me...or the dollar signs I represent. Unfortunately, my status as a working American citizen puts me in a position that friendship and a certain amount of ass-kissing can be easily purchased without doing it consciously.

I hope at the end of the day the Jamaicans I meet see past the money I spend. I hope they see that I do care about people and realize that I don't go through my days here in the States drinking Red Stripes and walking around with sandals on my feet. I hope those conversations are more than 'drunken' philosophy...but the plain truth is, we can't be sure that is the case. Jamaicans make generalizations too.

This post is the same as if a Jamaican posted "Why Are All Americans Rich?"...

Life is full of gray...not a lot of black and white. Respect!