Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about my January trip!

User Info Menu

Questions about my January trip!

Just typing 'January trip' is exciting...

My April trip was great, but I have a couple regrets. I overplanned and underdid. SAND GRAVITY!

1. I didn't go fishing
    2. I met only one boardie.

My questions:
    1. What would I fish for in January, what are the recommendations as far as a fish tour/boat etc? Costs?

2. Are than any boardie gatherings in early Jan?

User Info Menu

Brasi, I come from a family that takes fishing very seriously, and I have to say that fishing in Jamaica doesn't seem worth the effort and expense. If you're hot to fish, talk to the local fisherman (there have been threads on the old board about this) and just fish close in for the small fish. Otherwise, you're probably better off with just a boat tour if you want a day on a boat.

User Info Menu

Brasi, every realnegril webcast is a potential boardie gathering...

As the time gets closer, some folks may post up specific gatherings that they are opening to the general board crowd.

User Info Menu

Cool. I am definitely hitting a webcast this time...and probably the bar crawl although (and no offense) that may be a bit much for my normal taste...then again...drinking a beer at every spot could be an interesting challenge to document in a trip report!

The last time I was in Negril, i was offered a fishing tour for $100...small boat, me and one nice guy on the beach would go...including some Red Stripes and a smoke or two...maybe I'll do that this time...is that what you meant by "close in" wrtii?

User Info Menu

brasi, I have seen some big fish come off them small boats! wish I was there at that time to go with you, there is a fishin boat right infront of NBCC, and if you gather a couple people, would make for a fun time!

User Info Menu

I have always wanted to bring a small collapsible rod and just find a spot to fish from the cliffs. I talked to an English guy that did that and caught lots of fish -including one that tried to bite him! Has any one else trid this?

User Info Menu

Gluecipher awesome idea...I have plenty of time to find a way give that a shot!

Lapurr: I was at Mariner's, your guy is probably the guy who offered me 'the tour'...it would have been just me and him...I'm definitely going this time...

The only thing that scared me is that---no kidding---he offered it as a "3-hour tour, a 3-hour tour..." hahaha

I don't want to be a Gilligan. Well...unless Maryanne came along...hahaha

EDITED to add this rod package:
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFUQ8wIwAQ
    Last edited by brasi; 09-28-2011 at 12:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Brasi, yes, that's what I was talking about. The deep-sea fishing is what seems not worth the expense and time.

I'm going to venture a guess that $100. is probably at the high end of the price range for close-in fishing. As a half-day tourist activity, though, that's not too bad.

User Info Menu

Name:  Img0164.JPG
Views: 388
Size:  51.3 KBName:  Img0418.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  33.8 KBName:  Img0417.JPG
Views: 366
Size:  46.2 KBName:  Img0391.JPG
Views: 382
Size:  17.7 KBName:  Img0333.JPG
Views: 447
Size:  39.6 KBName:  Img0278.JPG
Views: 432
Size:  41.1 KBName:  Img0178.JPG
Views: 417
Size:  49.1 KBName:  Img0177.JPG
Views: 413
Size:  52.1 KBName:  Img0176.JPG
Views: 366
Size:  41.1 KB

A real favorite spot for me to go fishing and then have my catch cooked for me is Travellers Rest at the mouth of the Negril River down at the bridge to the left of the Craft Market.

The catch in the picture above was about two hours worth of fishing just off the cliffs inside the reef area.

I would pay $5000 J for both the fishing and the cooking (I guess that is about $75 at that exchange rate. I last went out during my 2006 visit. You can go there the late afternoon before the day you want to fish and strike up a deal.

Peace and Guidance.

User Info Menu

That's an excellent idea!!!!