Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Huts

User Info Menu

Re: Great Huts

It's doable as it's only about 2 hours via the junction road through Annotto Bay - there you could visit the museum, emancipation park and Devon House

User Info Menu

Please understand these are my personal thoughts. I am not speaking for everyone who has visited Kingston.

If you want to go for the experience, have your places of interest planned ahead of time. I wouldn’t suggest winging a trip there. Make sure the sites you want to see are worth the time and expense to get there. It’s a 2½ hr drive each way and a chartered ride could be $150. easy. Kingston is not particularly designed for entertaining tourist like Negril or Portland where beaches, laid-back bars and souvenir shops/stalls are steps away. However, the fact that it is the country’s heartbeat makes Kingston an interesting cultural venture.

As far as safety…I stayed in New Kingston for 5 nights alone and never felt unsafe. I walked the four blocks and crossed the super busy thoroughfare to and from the megamart undisturbed (13 minutes each way). Only went out once at night but was close to my unit, again no issues. Didn’t visit a local hangout like I wanted because the driver didn’t know of any and wasn’t willing to check out the unfamiliar. Trust me, they won’t go in communities where they either unknown or don’t know anyone there.

Speaking of drivers, I haven’t found a red plate Portland driver willing to take me to Kingston for the day and I’ve asked a lot. They said no basically because of being out of their “territory” even if doing a charter. To and from the airport, yes, but to tour the city, no.

I suggest you block out a day to either go to Kingston or Reach Falls. Share your desires with the Great Huts staff as soon as you get settled. They will be more knowledgeable about the particulars of going to Kingston. Once you’ve gotten answers you couldn’t get while here then make your decision. If you decide to hold off, I highly recommend the day trip to Reach Falls. The scenery along the way is a breathtaking as the intimate falls itself.

I’m not trying to discourage you from going to Kingston, just recommending you do research prior in order to know for sure it’s what you want to do.

User Info Menu

Well answered.

User Info Menu

Great huts is awesome !!! I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone but I loved every minute of it... Didn't have a good experience at Boston jerk centre tho

And yeah it's not as close to PA as you'd think

User Info Menu

how long ago did you stay there 541lion?
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I stayed in great guys for only 2 nights but wish it was longer, but there were so many cool places I wanted to split up my stay.. Also did a few nights at kanopi house.. Which was different but also very cool.. Just didn't like how it was ran... Felt like the place was trying to hustle me... Great huts in the other hand is just too unique not to love and the staff is very friendly.. Just be careful outside of the gates at night... I had a situation almost get a lil dicey on me at one of the street party's they were having last time.. Just use your whits and have a great time.. Feel the vibes!! I will be back to great huts in April and can't wait