Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip insurance?

User Info Menu

Trip insurance?

I'm about book my first JA trip. January at Citronella fro 8 days. I'm booking air and lodging myself. Should I be looking at some trip insurance?
    Thanks,
    Runner

User Info Menu

Yes a policy to cover travel and the cost of a medivac at least

User Info Menu

I always do.

User Info Menu

It all depends how you book them, for example are you just putting a down payment on the hotel?, what's their policy? how are you booking the air? non-refundable cheap class? usually ins is cheapest to add to the air ticket with the carrier and must be purchase at time of booking. You are ok weather wise, how's the health? anything that might chg your dates? Parents health? I personally used it once, my health, got air price back AND got the tics to use with in the next year!Ins on tics onlt can run 40 or 50 dollars.

User Info Menu

Never leave home without it! TRAVEL GUARD is who we have used.
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool

User Info Menu

I'm putting 50% on the hotel. Any cancellation within 30 days = forfeit deposit. Airfare will be non-refundable cheap class.
    Runner

User Info Menu

I have bought insurance in the past however check your benefits with your employer -I have full coverage from work, and check with your credit card company because they also have travel / medical insurance on some cards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lapurr View Post
    I have bought insurance in the past however check your benefits with your employer -I have full coverage from work, and check with your credit card company because they also have travel / medical insurance on some cards.
    AND check the cover, some insurance from cards don't cover for what they called risky actives, and some UK Firms won't pay out if you have had a drink at time of accident. someone like jim-donna said "travel guard" might be better, BUT there is no right answer what's good for you might not be good for me

Markus

User Info Menu

I would always want medical evacuation coverage when visiting a less developed nation. I'm often willing to take a chance on cancellations and not insure against that, but I want coverage if I need to be 'airlifted' back to the US.

User Info Menu

In my opinion, good comprehensive Trip Insurance is worth every penny for the peace of mind it will provide you.

No one knows what can come up at anytime. My husband and I sadly learned this on our 4th trip to Negril in April 2010 when our son-in-law (with their 1st child due in 6 weeks) unexpectedly passed away. We were in shock and having to deal with so much mentally, that at least by having purchased trip insurance we did not have added stress of the financial burden of worrying about emergency airfare to return to the States, Etc.

We always buy Trip Insurance that includes medical, dental and evacuation and repatriation of remains. Pray you never need it, but if you do you will could be out thousands upon thousands of dollars during a stressful time.

A couple weeks ago we were supposed to go back home to Calif. for a wonderful vacation. I did not purchase trip insurance because it was just to CA. Unfortunately, trying to remove a huge portions of a downed tree out of our pool due to Hurricane Irene, my husband blew his disc out and we were not able to travel. Fortunately, we were able to cancel hotels and rental car without any fees. However, we had spent nearly 900.00 in airfare which had to be used by 02/2012 so in order not to lose all that money, we scheduled a trip to Florida in February. Would much rather have had the $900 back in my pocket so I could choose where to vacation next. Even with rebooking to FL, we still lost $160+ in unused airfare.

The trip in 6 weeks back to Negril we should be able to keep since he had emergency spinal surgery, but if not, we are fully insured and it's a good feeling that we will not be out a lot of money again.