Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Still have Money Questions

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    \ I stay 5 weeks and after paying for my hotel etc, I take about $1200 which I convert to Jamaican dollars. I prefer using them then you get used to the currency and don't have to worry about exchange rates. This is more often plenty. I do, however usually have breakfast at home and then use places like Sweet Spot (across from Alfred's) for dinner. I have also eaten at Kuyaba etc. Once in a while I do get more with my ATM card but NOT often at all.
    i can spend $1200 in 8 days - also having paid for air and hotel before hand.. by myself.. so mileage varies..

User Info Menu

Mo, bring cash....only use the credit card for emergencies.
    Never use a debit card, they are not secure or insured.
    CCLP will exchange $ but the rate is not good...just as bad as the airport.
    CCLP will let you charge meals and drinks to your credit card, they will take your card info when you check in...
    Have fun, don't worry, everything will be cool..
    Respect, Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MoFromMonroe View Post
    @ accompong-thinking $1000 won't last us for 10 days drinking, eating 3 meals a day and tipping. Don't want to carry more cash than that. And don't even want to bring a debit card.
    I wasn't suggesting that $1000 US would last for 10 days but..... the exchange rate is $80+ J to $1US making $1000 over $80,000. I would not presume to know just how expensive a meal or drinks you would be imbibing on the three meals a day but to spend $100 per day does take some doing.

And...I did say you could take money (up to $300 US per day I think) out of an ATM machine and they are all over the place. The Traveler's Check option is also better than a Credit Card. I have heard and read horror stories of people coming home and getting their Credit Card Statement only to find charges higher than what they charged and at rates of exchange higher than the daily rate.

Consider alternatives other than Credit Cards would be my advice. I have many years of travel and living around Jamaica and ditched the Credit Card a long time ago. Just my opinion.

Peace and Guidance.

User Info Menu

i like to do a combo of CASH and going to the Negril ATM machines for Jamacian dollars -- and try to get as many Jamacian 100s as possible .... they're a godsend. I usually keep enough cash on me at all times to stay out of jail, ha ha, plus some in the hotel safe and also some in secret spot like a shirt pocket or something ... that way, i feel like i have all the bases covered; don't like to use credit cards or debit cards because of that annoying "international transaction" fee .....

User Info Menu

The only time I use travelers checks is in Negril works great at cambios without the risk of carrying cash. They even know me by name at the Banmark cambio!

User Info Menu

Just a tip if you haven't used your credit card out of the country before: With the current credit crisis, most card issuers have tightened up on policies and restrictions. Depending on your bank, they may "red flag" your card when you try to use it out of the US, which means they cut you off cold and you have to waste your time and $$ on the phone trying to prove that you are actually the one using it and not someone who stole your number. This can also happen when the card doesn't go through the first time they swipe it, and then they swipe it again- also a flag- and you should never let them swipe it twice unless you want a lot of hassle.

SO, IF you decide to bring your credit card, be sure to call your credit card company and LET THEM KNOW that you will be out of the country for X amount of days. You may also want to lower/raise your daily limits at this time depending on your needs.

Have a great trip, and I totally agree with Captain Oil!

IRIE!*IG
    β€œIt is better to travel well than to arrive.” – Buddha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MoFromMonroe View Post
    I have a capital one cc. No fees. Got it just for going to Jamaica.
    I have one too, use it all the time there. NO fee at all, very good exchange rate.

You can use it at Coco, and most hotel-based restaurants, and most of the higher end ones as well. If your CC charges you for foreign transactions, however, and many do, you may be better off with trav checks or using an ATM. If you do use your card, let your bank know the dates you'll be in JA, saves a lot of hassle.

Also check your receipts as you use your card to pay for things or sign your tab. I suppose you should do that when you pay cash as well.

If your card is stolen and used your liability is usually zero, but can be up to $50. If the number is stolen and used (not the physical card) your liability is zero. This is by law, for US cardholders. So using a c card is actually far less risky than bringing a ton of cash. The issue with the cards is when you go off the beaten path they're hard to use. But in Negril, not a problem for most things.

I generally carry an ATM card, a c card and some cash and use each as appropriate. When paying cash I like to use JA$.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
    IF you decide to bring your credit card, be sure to call your credit card company and LET THEM KNOW that you will be out of the country for X amount of days.

IRIE!*IG
    I found that the same thing applies to ATM cards. I let both my credit card company and my bank (ATM) know where and for how long I'll be away. I rarely use either but you never know and better safe than sorry.

Oh, and I use Travellers cheques when I take "money" with me. I only have some CDN for my return trip home.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

my advice is ALWAYS bring travelers checks.....cash them a bhit at a time at a cambio. Do NOT use credit cards unless you can personally view the transaction.....

User Info Menu

I have ALWAYS paid for high end dinners with a credit card at the Rockhouse and Margarittaville.. never had a problem.. also i use the atms every reach - also never any problem..