Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Share a Day Trip to Accompong Town on October 22, 2015

User Info Menu

Re: Share a Day Trip to Accompong Town on October 22, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    Thank you Shaggy but it is really the people like Mystic Bowie who are doing the most and I am only assisting when I am asked to help.

Usually, in Jamaica, it is money that most people ask for when they want assistance. I have found that giving money doesn't solve a problem as much as giving a solution and then assisting others to solve their own problem. For instance, a few families did not have money enough to give it to their children for a meal at school. I found out that feeding those children would cost about $300 US a month. I could have given $300 and fed those children for a month or I could organize cooperative farming and then they could grow enough food to feed those children and teach farming methods at the same time.

It is hard to help people when you only see them on a two week vacation every year and don't live among them to understand the problem first before helping. I realize that not everyone can take the time to do this but I encourage those that can take the time and make an effort to make a difference.

Peace and Guidance
    Absolutely. Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

I saved this article, I don't know if it would be helpful or not, but it is worth a read for info on sustainable farming (more for urban areas, but amazing how much food they grow on a small amount of land) http://tinyhousetalk.com/family-grow...re-urban-farm/

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMoose View Post
    Absolutely. Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

I saved this article, I don't know if it would be helpful or not, but it is worth a read for info on sustainable farming (more for urban areas, but amazing how much food they grow on a small amount of land) http://tinyhousetalk.com/family-grow...re-urban-farm/

~Moose
    Here is the problem with farming in Jamaica as I see it. I currently (along with my friend Marshall) have about 20 acres of a variety of items planted like sorrel, dasheen, plantains, ginger etc.. Clearing the land is not easy. Jamaicans us Gramazone and Paraquat to kill the weeds and then often over fertilize with "ferti" commercial fertilizers. When you don't have much money then you can't take the time to laboriously hand weed and grow "organically".

Yes, they could grow a lot more on a small amount of land but with limited resources and the constant need to feed your family as well as your pocketbook, planting and reaping is all you really have the time for.

Water is also a problem as there is no piped in water so rain water catchments are a necessity. Most farms are outside in the hills and a far way from any catchment. Thus, there is no irrigation without carrying 5 gallon pails to and from your house.

Marshall is a very smart guy who understands his limitations and is constantly improving his methods and marketing of what he produces. These "techniques" are the "fishing" in your parable. Just teaching a man to farm in the outdated way doesn't necessarily guarantee he will eat for a lifetime. Success breeds more success. Thanks for the link. I printed it out and will take it to Jamaica soon.

Nuff Respect!
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Accompong, I know one very good way to organically clear land and I would expect it would work well in Jamaica. Goats!
    http://www.grit.com/animals/goats/ra...z14jazreg.aspx

I hadn't even thought about water. I guess we take a lot for granted here. I can appreciate all the hard work it must be then.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Accompong that was a beautiful read. I am summer granny at their place and she log in leave for me so just reading. Ahhhhh memories so sweet

User Info Menu

Accompong, I know one very good way to organically clear land and I would expect it would work well in Jamaica. Goats!
    http://www.grit.com/animals/goats/ra...z14jazreg.aspx

I hadn't even thought about water. I guess we take a lot for granted here. I can appreciate all the hard work it must be then.

~Moose
    Goats! We got goats all over the place! Unfortunately, goats don't eat the roots so, within a short time, you have weeds again and you can't use them once the crops are growing or you will have none of the either.
    Here is a little picture of our farm shortly after planting a couple of acres
    Name:  resizeFarm.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  102.9 KB
    Here is another picture of a more mature patch.
    Name:  resizeFarmA.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  102.8 KB
    As you can see, the land wants to revert back to jungle almost as soon as it is planted.

Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

Can't have a yard here without a goat mower!!
    We have a few mowers in our yard!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Accompong that was a beautiful read. I am summer granny at their place and she log in leave for me so just reading. Ahhhhh memories so sweet
    Just before I go back home, I tend to reminisce about my likkle section of paradise. Glad I could evoke some sweet memories.

I might exist in Babylon but I only live in Paradise. It's time again to LIVE !

Big Up Summer Granny!
    Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

Moose. You will definitely see, there is no goat shortage I'm Jamaica.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flipadelphia26 View Post
    Moose. You will definitely see, there is no goat shortage I'm Jamaica.
    Hence why I suggested goats, but hadn't considered the roots part. I doubt raised beds would help with weeds.

I waved the white flag to my personal garden here, it got overrun by weeds and some lemon balm I planted. That stuff is invasive!

I'd love to see the area there Accompong, perhaps next time I'll try and get there with Linston. Already too many things to see and do and not enough time.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

User Info Menu

Hence why I suggested goats, but hadn't considered the roots part. I doubt raised beds would help with weeds.

I waved the white flag to my personal garden here, it got overrun by weeds and some lemon balm I planted. That stuff is invasive!

I'd love to see the area there Accompong, perhaps next time I'll try and get there with Linston. Already too many things to see and do and not enough time.

~Moose
    Mulch helps control weeds a whole lot. We started heavily mulching our garden with clean straw this year and didn't pull a single weed from July til now.