Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Share a Day Trip to Accompong Town on October 22, 2015

User Info Menu

Share a Day Trip to Accompong Town on October 22, 2015

For those of you who will be vacationing or living in Negril on that day, I wanted to let you know about a different day trip into the Cockpit Country I would like to share with you. Linston is going to be taking me from Negril to Accompong Town on that day at around 8:00am. I am going home at long last. We can share the total cost of the fare equally.

It is about a two hour drive up into the Cockpits of St. Elizabeth to the top of a small mountain where I live. I can arrange for a historical town tour and even a hike out into the Cockpits to the Peace Cave for those who are interested. All you have to do is pay a guide a "locals" price to do that. I can introduce you to the town leaders and my neighbors and friends so you can learn first hand about the Maroon struggles and their way of life. Herbal remedies and medicinal plants found in the surrounding area can be gathered for your consumption while on your hike or tour. Here are some pictures of Accompong Town and the area around the town.

Accompong Town is in St. Elizabeth near the St. James border about 45 miles due South of Montego Bay
    Name:  COCKPITMAP.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  70.2 KB
    A day hike to the Peace Cave where the Treaty of 1738-39 was signed
    Name:  1988 PEACE CAVE.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  44.3 KB
    Community Center/Library and Computer Center. Accompong Town.
    Name:  SAM_0035 (640x480).jpg
Views: 565
Size:  53.7 KB
    Drumming Circle under the Kindah (One Family) Tree
    Name:  11e Kindah Celebration.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  97.6 KB

There are so many more pictures I could post but this would be your opportunity to take your own! If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them but contact Linston directly if you want to join me on this trip.

You can contact Linston directly
    Name:  0000000screen-capture_zpsd0ea835a.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  15.9 KB
    Or Email him at linston@redplate-negril.com to make arrangements.

For those who want to explore a part of Jamaica that tourists rarely see, I recommend this opportunity.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Re: Share a Day Trip to Accompong Town on October 22, 2015

Oh Bill, I wish we were going to be there. I would love to do this!
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Walleye View Post
    Oh Bill, I wish we were going to be there. I would love to do this!
    One day, Ras. One day.

Respect.

User Info Menu

That sounds great, but we won't be there either. My husband would love that.

User Info Menu

Hi Bill....did they complete the hotel yet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Babalew View Post
    Hi Bill....did they complete the hotel yet?
    Hi Babalew,

"Complete" is not an often term for something under construction in Jamaica and "Indigenous Sovereignty" (name currently used) is just another example.

Of the estimated 40 rooms under construction about 20 are "decently" done. There is running water, spartan furnishings and toilets for those rooms. The floors are tiled and (your favorite) "Hot Water" was not available as of my last leaving earlier this year.

One of the things I did send down for our house was a portable propane-fired water heater for the shower which I will be installing shortly after my arrival. Our floors are now tiled as well and a complete house painting inside and out is on the agenda.

I will try to take some photos of the hotel and (later after some work) of our house and post them.

Hope all is well with you.

Nuff Respect!

User Info Menu

bill, i'm in. i have a friend travelling with me and not sure if she will go but i'm in. . . . haven't had a "day trip" for a while . . . if she goes, we share it 3 ways . . . i have pm privileges now, so lets keep in touch. . . . love this idea . . . i'm at bar b barn . . .

User Info Menu

ok bill, she's in . . .

User Info Menu

Oh how I wish you would be there in Feb, this is an adventure I would love to experience......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JitterBug View Post
    ok bill, she's in . . .
    Sounds good, Jitters!

I won't have my phone until I get home but, if you leave me your number in messaging, I will try to give you a call. Contact Linston for particulars. You know me, I like to start out early and that will give you and your friend more time to explore. Maybe on the way we can take a bit of time to visit Apple Valley Park for a quick see. 550 acre park on the Black River. Here are a couple of pictures from years back.
    Little known and visited Maggotty Falls on the Black River
    Name:  143 MAG.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  99.0 KB
    Jitney ride to the Great House in 1988
    Name:  172 SC.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  87.8 KB
    Picture of the old entrance to the park taken in late '80s
    Name:  1 038.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  98.2 KB

Been a long time so it will be nice to catch up with you like we did in Port Maria. Many changes over the years.

Peace and Guidance