Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jamaica road trip

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaica road trip

Just know it's very possible just not for the faint of heart! Iam glad I didn't drive my first reach just so I was able to see what all of the fuss is about but Iam very much looking forward to renting a car next reach!

User Info Menu

Not to mention my fiancé and I recently went to Puerto Rico and rented a car.. Not quite the same but still some agressive driving and poor road conditions.. Iam ready for Jamaicas challenge

User Info Menu

Not me. Drivers are too affordable and will stop anywhere you want.

User Info Menu

We come down for two weeks at a time and for the last ten years I have rented a car at the Airport in MoBay and returned it when leaving.......the only issues I have ever had was hitting a Pot Hole and getting a flat..............Keep one eye on the road and the other on traffic................do a lot of Golfing at Tryall, Negril Hills,Cinnamon Hill, and White Witch........Love the freedom of going when and where I want........Took a little while to get used to driving there ....but.......now I don't give it a second thought.......

Ken

User Info Menu

My most memorable experience ever in Jamaica was circumnavigating the island in 2013. We own a vehicle so I can't help you about the airport rental, but as for the roads, as long as you stay fairly close to "the beaten path" the roads aren't that bad. Be very aware though and don't be in a hurry. The first rule is, do not, I repeat, do not try and drive like the Jamaicans do. Don't try to keep up, just do your own thing at your own speed. We drove toppless (top down on the jeep...everyone get their mind out of the gutter), and never feared for our safety once. I'm not saying nothing will happen, just saying we had a great trip.

I would want my trip to be a more structured though. Just showing up with cash in hand looking for a room might be a little frustrating. This should be especially true if it's your first trip. I'd book hotels and/or bed and breakfast ahead of time, this time, and check places out and get some numbers for your next tour around the island. I'd book rooms in Ocho Rios 1st night, then Port Antonio, Kingston, Black River and then home. So, four nights. Just another word of advice, I'd skip Kingston on my first road trip. Its very busy and very very hard to navigate and can be a little dangerous. I'd do Ocho Rios, Port Antonio, back to Ochie, and then if you are really comfortable driving in Jamaica, I'd go to MoBay and then south to Black River along the R6, with a stop at YS Falls on the way.

On our trip we left Negril on day one and had lunch at Scotchie's in MoBay. Then on to Ochie. We stopped along the way to watch a ship loading at Rio Bueno. We sat on a small beach beside the ocean and noticed a small but fast moving river. We drove upstream a ways to a cane field where we could park and swim for a bit. That was a nice afternoon but we had to move on. We stayed at the Hibiscus Hotel in Ochie first night. We loved the hotel so much that we delayed our trip and stayed a second night. The hotel was overlooking the ocean and during my morning coffee I watched a fisherman setting out his traps. He then went down the shore aways and tied up. I managed to hale him over and he took my wife and myself on this great tour of the Ocho Rios waterfront all the way from the bauxite pier to Rio Nuevo. What a great day. Then day three on to Port Antonio for a raft trip down the Rio Grande. You might even want to spend two days in Port Antonio as there is so much rich history there and so much to see. Like I said, this is where I'd drive back to MoBay and go south to Black River.

Name:  P1030051.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  98.0 KBName:  P1030053.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  99.0 KBName:  P1030065.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  93.5 KBName:  P1030107.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  99.6 KB

User Info Menu

brownsd24,

Love your jeep. Here's mine in Jamaica. Different brand, same fun utility machine:

Name:  *Lot top off.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  99.6 KB

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Great advice from brownsd54. The roads from Montego Bay towards Port Antonio are well maintained, wide and easy to navigate. It is a great way to get a feel for driving in Jamaica before the real fun starts. Port Antonio to Kingston isn't bad, but the roads are a little narrow and not as well maintained. If this is your first time driving, definitely skip Kingston. From Kingston, highway 2000 is comparable to an expressway in the US. From then on, from Mandeville until Negril, the roads are much more challenging.
    Last edited by NKY; 10-28-2015 at 12:02 PM.

User Info Menu

I've made the circumnavigation twice and loved every minute of it. We started in Negril both times. In 1985, we stayed in Mandeville, Kingston, Port Antonio, and Runaway Bay. In 1990, we skipped Mandeville and Kingston. I used to have a Dinner's Club card that covered the co0llision damage waiver, but I'm not sure any cards cover it these days. Jamaica, Ireland and Israel you're gonna pay for that insurance and the tire/wheel coverage is sound advice. That first trip, I drove 950 miles (not km) over ten days.

So many adventures. I copied some WW II topo maps from the university library and just explored. Roads that ended in jungle. Roads that ended in cow pastures and a little boy led us back to the paved road. Milk River to Alligator Pond in first gear. The botanical gardens in Castleton. Rafting on the Rio Grande without another raft in sight. The boy who ran down the bank, dove in and swam out to us underwater holding a bouquet just above the water. A stop for a delicious meal over a fire and buying a duck carving. The two women with laundry baskets on their heads and little ones clinging to their skirts, who helped us find our way somewhere in the middle of the island. "Yes, keep on," and as we pulled away, "Enjoy your stay!" Oh, we unforgettably did.
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

In 1975 I made the circumnavigation in one long day. Not by choice

Cap
    Last edited by captaind & Linston; 10-28-2015 at 06:29 PM.

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu