Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Charela...Jazz on the Beach

User Info Menu

Charela...Jazz on the Beach

Last night we went to Mirages' sister hotel on the beach, Charela. Thursday night is billed on Negril.com as "Jazz on the Beach". The five piece band consisted of a sax, organ, guitar, bass and drums. The first song was Van Morrison's "Moondance", not a jazz original, but played with great jazz overtones in an extended version much like Wes Montgomery might do. They then brought up their singer for the evening who sang a nice version of the old jazz standard "How High the Moon". Norah Jones "Don't Know Why" was next. And that was the last jazz song they played in their hour and half set. We heard Tina Turner, Luther Vandross, Teddy Pendegrass even the Temptaions,, but nary a jazz song. The musicianship was very good. The singing was good too. It just wasn't what we came to hear, namely Jazz. We would have been happy with a smattering of Dave Brubeck, Chet Baker, Stan Getz and the like. And if there has to be a vocalist maybe some Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald or "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess. I would have even been happy with Jamaican Jazz players such as Monte Alexander or Ernest Raglin. Most people there enjoyed themselves, us included, but was disappointed they weren't playing jazz.
    The meal and service were excellent.
    Regards,
    Bob

Name:  DSCN6529.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  DSCN6530.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  89.0 KB

User Info Menu

Re: Charela...Jazz on the Beach

Hey Bob,
    I know what you mean when you have your heart set on Jazz.
    Nothing else is the same.

P.S. It sounds like you have excellent taste in music too.

I love Stan Getz, etc.

User Info Menu

There used to be a Charela's restaurant at the Seawind, which closed. Is this the same location or a different one?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tahrheel View Post
    There used to be a Charela's restaurant at the Seawind, which closed. Is this the same location or a different one?
    Shereta's was the name of the former Seawind restaurant. Charela is one of the premiere hotels on the beach. LeVendome is the name of their restaurant.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I can understand your expectations were not met by what you experienced which is very understandable given the way they advertise the show. When I first saw the show, I thought the same thing, "This is not really jazz." However, I did super enjoy what I did see. There were some great musicians and some excellent singers, as you mentioned. It's one of my favorite nights on the beach for live music.And Charela continues to be one of my favorite places to stay on the beach. Love that place!
    In Loving Memory of William 'Bunny Rugs' Clarke, Lead Singer of Third World:

"There's a land not so far away/Where the sun keep shinning all through the day/And this land that we all love/God gave us the wood and the water/Blessed by the moon and stars above/Sweet, sweet Jamaica/Beautiful Jamaica/Everyday feels like a holiday/Sweet reggae music playing/From Negril to Morant Bay/Sweet, sweet Jamaica/Oh Jamaica/Irie, irie, irie Jamaica/Sweet Jamaica our land we love"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Shereta's was the name of the former Seawind restaurant. Charela is one of the premiere hotels on the beach. LeVendome is the name of their restaurant.
    Thanks, I was confused. We have danced many a Thursday night at Charela's.