Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Travellers Cheques?

User Info Menu

I carry both TC and cash but I've never used either.

I use JA exclusively from landing to take off.

The ATM is cost free for me, has the best exchange rate (JA Gov't rate at the instant you get the cash). Never had a problem.

The ATM I prefer is the NCB at the Petco next to the aerodrome.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the info...I'll have to look into how much my bank will charge and see if it's worth doing. How much less
    is the exchange at the cambio? Also, I have a Scotiabank card and have used the ATM before for a fairly good exchange rate...just wondering though if the ATM is reliable enough to count on for cash? Is there ever an occasion where the ATM is down or simply out of money? Don't want to leave myself stranded with no cash.

User Info Menu

Occasionally ATMS are down or without cash, yes. Maybe plan to use those but buy some TCs for emergencies? But also check what your bank charges for overseas/not-their-bank ATM use. Some have really high fees.

As I recall IF the rate for TCs is lower than cash, and it isn't always, it's a J$ or 2 per US dollar less.

User Info Menu

I have always received the same exchange rate using TC at the cambios.

User Info Menu

Scotia has 2 ATM's outside, one that gives JA or USD, the other JA only. (Is there also an ATM inside the bank?)

The ATM's are serviced frequently.

User Info Menu

Ive never had a problem w/ TC... never been given a lower rate of exchange, and feel much safer when I don't have a safe in the room.

User Info Menu

On my visit last month the ATM was paying $85.66
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Just remember-ATMS can run out of money easily, and of course power outages (something not unusual) plus if your card gets eaten,etc. by the machine(it wont be easy to get it back-or even if you can just simnply get back form the bank-dealing with those things arent easy like the usa)-Just always good to have a back up plan (TC,cash,an extra card)
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

definitely use checks.....even if it costs you...and cash them in a hundred at a time

User Info Menu

AmericanExpress travelers checks are FREE to card-holders (i.e., no fee(s))
    be hapPpy