Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travellers Checks

User Info Menu

Travellers Checks

Does anyone know why the cambio's are no longer changing travellers checks?

User Info Menu

Re: Travellers Checks

Too many counterfeits?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Meow View Post
    I couldn't even find any traveler's checks after visiting 3 banks and AAA before my trip. AAA wanted to sell me a prepaid visa debit card, but it was $3 per transaction and a 3% fee each time I used it.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

I've used travelers checks for my first 20 trips. Prepping for 21 AAA, my normal source for free checks, no longer provided them. ATM worked fine.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Glad you posted this. We are trying to find somewhere to purchase TC's right now and not having much luck. I know that many folks don't like them but personally, I like having some TC's..along with cash, credit card and debit card. Kind of like my Plan "B" of just in case.... However, this trip I guess it isn't going to happen. We had no problems at all last year getting TC's cashed. Even Wise Choice and M&L cashed them. I'm with you Moose.....the fee for the pre-paid debit cards is way too high. As my Dad always said, nothing as inevitable as change. However, doesn't mean I have to like it.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I asked a few years ago because I always took them too. The cambios have to send them to a bank and the banks are refusing them for whatever reason.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Travellers checks are like cash, so it doesn't make any sense to not except them. IMO, for a tourist destination that depends on tourist $$$, it's a stupid decision that will just make the tourists bigger targets for thieves, if they know that everyone has more cash on them.

User Info Menu

No, they really aren't like cash. They are like checks. The people who sell them may assert that they're like cash. But if you spend a few minutes with Google you will find many instances where businesses accepted traveler's checks that turned out to be counterfeit, to have the amount changed, etc. The same is true with cashier's checks. Only cash is like cash. And it's a lot harder to change the denomination on a $10. bill into a $100. bill.

User Info Menu

I used traveller's cheques all the time. They actually saved me when I had my hotel room broken iinto once and they were all stolen (this did not happen in Jamaica btw). Anyway, I had all my money rturned to me that same day.

However, as much as a big fan I was of traveller's cheques, I can see how the debit card has made them somewhat redundant.

I would suspect as well that because they are unpopular these days it is probably just not worth while for the cambios to continue to support them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Meow View Post
    Hi Ms Meow, Our friend across the road from the cambio will still cash travelers checks. Hope to see you this year.