Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Return to Jamaica a 3-month homecoming

User Info Menu

Re: My Return to Jamaica a 3-month homecoming

Jitterbug... after 10 years back I have limited memory. You can only administer abuse to your brain cells for so many years and then they just shut down like an overworked donkey!

continuing....
    We pulled out of Sav in high spirits after sharing a few laughs over fire trucks in a station and no hydrants to connect to if a fire should start and the other three were eating fresh coco bread from a local store. The ladies were settling in for the ride after gaining confidence in Linston’s driving. The only thing on my mind was my impending homecoming and spending the night in my own bed in my own bedroom.

At Ferris Cross the road was new without potholes all the way past Whitehouse making for a smooth ride. Around Belmont we took a brief break to imbibe in herbal supplements to properly align the mind in synchronization to the smooth road. Mission accomplished and we were nearly half way to our destination.

Middle Quarters, Holland Bamboo and finally Tombstone at Lacovia where we turned North towards Maggotty and then Accompong Town. We were now in my neighborhood travelling through Haughton and Newton. I am getting more excited by the minute.

At the roundabout outside of Maggotty where the back road to Montego Bay branches from the road to Appleton, we saw the first Accompong sign. Jitterbug asked, “How much further now, Bill?” and I said about maybe 10 miles or so. Of course, over those 10 miles we have to climb about 3000’ so the roads become steep, curvy, pot hole ridden and narrow with drop offs right from the edge of the road some 1000’ straight down. Maybe I should have added that but I didn’t.

We reached a shortcut at Tranail Road where the road suddenly started a steep climb with cutouts in the road for water to go across. When Linston went over some, the underside of the car would scrape. Linston and I laughed when he said his mechanic asked why the bottom of his car was so clean. Now we know why. Jitterbug was not so amused and it was then that I sensed she was a little uncomfortable but we pressed on scraping several more times and meeting a vehicle or two where only inches were the clearance between the vehicles and sometimes the edge of the road. We were still only about half way there.

Steep walls on our left and drop offs of 1000 feet or more made for beautiful scenery but uncomfortable for some people. We entered the small village of White Hall and Jitterbug asked Linston to stop because she didn’t want to go further. She would have been more comfortable driving but even then she indicated that she would have probably have turned around some miles back. Linston was reluctant to leave her there but I knew (and Jitterbug agreed) that she would be just fine there in that Maroon community where I have many friends to await Linston’s return.

Some sharp turns, switchbacks and steep inclines later we entered Accompong Town. A couple of residents tried to get us to pull over and register as visitors until they saw me and said welcome home. Through the village we continued with friends waving a greeting until we pulled up in front of our house where Marshall was waiting on the verandah.

The house had been completely tiled since my last time home and I just couldn’t help admiring how good it looked as Marshall greeted Jitterbug’s friend and Linston who he already knew from last year. I could see that Linston and Jitterbug’s friend were anxious to pick her up so we said our goodbyes and they were back down the hill.

I was home where I belonged and I instantly felt that old familiar feeling that I was missing in my life. Marshall cooked some pumpkin rice with ackee and a piece of fish. Ahhh… Could life be any better?

Thank you for reading. I will post a couple of short pieces later when I get to November 10 and the Mystic Bowie concert at 3 Dives and a stop before I leave Jamaica for South Florida next year. I will also post a link to the continuing story at Living In Jamaica when I get to that point.

Peace and Guidance

Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

The ride up the mountain sounds like a blast to me!!!- Kinda felt like I was there with ya. lol Thanks again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Good stuff, thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

i love all your stories and adventures and will be looking forward to reading daily.. i have wanted to go to Accompong Town for years.. the ride sounds a little harrowing for this 60+ year old, but i know i could make it part of the fun.. thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Anytime ya'll want to go visit Accompong Linston will be happy to take you for a visit!

You will see true Maroon history. For hundreds of years Accompong has been an independent principality within the borders of Jamaica. It will be very educational.

The drive is just as great. When I was commuting three days a week from Spring Garden to Shiloa (Appleton Estate) Linston would travel with when he wasn't in school. So you can say he's been traveling that road since him a pickney. Of course that last ten miles is a "pip"

Something much different than the usual day trip to bars, falls...etc It is a full day.

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

I just LOVE reading your stories, thanks so very much for them!!

Peace & Respect
    Looking forward to our next visit to beautiful Jamaica! See you soon!!

User Info Menu

Looking forward to Feb. now even more!!!!Jojo said Linston will get us there!!!

User Info Menu

Really enjoyed your report, looking forward to more

User Info Menu

that road was something else . . . at one point, as we came to pass another car, we had to back up to accommodate the passing car . . . the scenery was stunning though, when i was brave enough to look . . . was feeling pretty anxious and had to get out! . . . it was a blast, the whole trip!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind & Linston View Post
    Anytime ya'll want to go visit Accompong Linston will be happy to take you for a visit!

You will see true Maroon history. For hundreds of years Accompong has been an independent principality within the borders of Jamaica. It will be very educational.

The drive is just as great. When I was commuting three days a week from Spring Garden to Shiloa (Appleton Estate) Linston would travel with when he wasn't in school. So you can say he's been traveling that road since him a pickney. Of course that last ten miles is a "pip"

Something much different than the usual day trip to bars, falls...etc It is a full day.

Cap

Linston was a bit concerned but your humorous approach eased his concern.

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com