Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing money question

User Info Menu

Re: Changing money question

I have a Visa debit card too. Is there still a CIBC ATM at the little plaza next to Burger King?

User Info Menu

We brought American and Canadian with us last week, with the idea of exchanging the CDN to JA. The Cambio wasn't open half the time and it was downtown - roundabout. We were swarmed by people, who literally opened the door on both sides of the taxis that stand right outside the Cambio. it was the worst feeling ever. It sorta worked out, but we were short money and it happened after we asked some guy to change some bills into smaller bills for us. Not sure where it went wrong, we just decided not to go there ever again. Use the Scotiabank... safer! And take a taxi that you are comfortable with..

User Info Menu

Oh man, "Change Buddy" got ya. Only use the cambio or atm, never, ever Change Buddy (that's what he's always saying, "change buddy?"). Big guy, always a big wad of bills, and he will rip you off 10/10 times.

User Info Menu

I've said this before, but before you change money with someone, think about what his business model is - how is he making money off the transaction? He has no way to get a better exchange rate than you do; his only way of making money is to short-change you. If you watch these guys, they do the money changing, then go to the cambio to change the money back. All that goes into their own pocket is what they short-changed you.

That also explains why changing money at the airport is more expensive - they are paying high rent to be in the airport, and that has to come from the customer.

Is there still a cambio in the HiLo? I have used that as a way to escape the pressure and begging at the Scotia Bank area.
    Last edited by wrtiii; 12-04-2015 at 09:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Big Frank...yes, there is still a CIBC atm across from Burger King.

And, along with the cambio in the plaza parking lot near Value Master (which can be a bit intimidating for some, with the number of offers to change your money from the street "money changers"...which you should NEVER DO)...
    next to HiLo is a cambio that is less intimidating and has the best rate between the two.

User Info Menu

As others have said, there are a number of cambios in Negril, aside from the ones at the roundabout. Personally, I like the Banmark on the West End Rd. There is usually no line and I have never had a hassle there. I know it's out of the way for people staying on the beach, but you can pair it with a trip to Negril Escape for cliff jumping, Bella Donna's for pizza, Quality & Faye's gift shop or any number of cool places within walking distance.

User Info Menu

I've always avoided the street changers. I don't know how they scam you these days, but when I was in the Philippines years ago, they started with a folded wad and could count out the pesos so quickly that they were coming back around to the first bills and counting them as new. I've seen many a sailor think he was scoring a better rate than the Cambio equivalents, but in reality was short 25% or more. Of course, sailors are often drunk. Not that that would be the case on Jamaica!
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Agree with the don't change on the street but if u are in a pinch make sure you get the last count.

User Info Menu

Thank you for the CIBC info Lisa. That's what I'll use to access my account.