Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Ipads or Iphones work in Negril?

User Info Menu

Do Ipads or Iphones work in Negril?

Hi all .... We just booked a February trip to Negril and are wondering if technology has caught up to us yet in Negril????

Do Ipads or Iphones brought from the U.S. work in Negril?

Thanks,

Kritter & Mark from Michigan

Administrator

User Info Menu

Kritter,

I would not suggest using the cell data roaming as the costs can be outrageous. But many restaurants and bars in Negril do offer free wifi. That should work for you most of the time!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Most hotels have WiFi so you'll have no problem with Ipads or Iphones.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob and Joe for the quick responses
    We'll be staying on the beach. I've stayed there before, so I'm not expecting WiFi at our humble lil abode. But as I recall, there was a bar just to the north of us and another just to the south ... so maybe we'll be able to catch their signal. Yeah, I know about those roaming charges ... ouch! I've got a J'can phone I usually bring down w/ me - sometimes I need to replace the sim card to reactivate it - but Marky Mark wants to use his Iphone so that he can keep track of his business in Mich.
    Again, thanks!
    Kritter
    Last edited by Kritter; 01-23-2012 at 11:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Beware a number of people have returned to UK to face large bills for there iphones and other smart phones, even if not used whilst away, they have found that if the phone is switch on, the apps they have downloaded still update, one guy has been faced with a bill for £500 of roaming charges

User Info Menu

We take our Iphone but remove the sims card once we board the flight...WE use it for EMAIL and that is all...Once the SIMs card is removed the telephone becomes in active...I too have heard horror stories about data cost as every time it hits another cell tower their is a data charge...Once the SIMs is removed it is simply a computer..Youjust have to find a hot spot which is easy enough to find these days..
    BE A TRAVELR

User Info Menu

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you set your phone to 'Airplane Mode', it will also keep it from roaming and running up the phone bill.

User Info Menu

I used my iphone in airplane mode with wifi turned back on. No extra charges when I got back. Used it to check email, skype calls back home, facetime calls to others at home with iphones.

User Info Menu

Thanks saeyedoc. I have the verizon version of the iphone, so there is no sim card to remove. Just to clarify, I will turn ON airplane mode, then go back in and turn on wifi (where available). This will allow me to use my phone like I would a touch or ipad...right? I am terrified of coming home to a hundreds of dollars phone bill.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeannieb View Post
    Thanks saeyedoc. I have the verizon version of the iphone, so there is no sim card to remove. Just to clarify, I will turn ON airplane mode, then go back in and turn on wifi (where available). This will allow me to use my phone like I would a touch or ipad...right? I am terrified of coming home to a hundreds of dollars phone bill.
    Yes that is right. You would have no surprises when only on wi-fi.