Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMO Foods in Jamaica

User Info Menu

GMO Foods in Jamaica

This is our first trip to Jamaica and we leave on Wednesday. We eat organic and I was wondering if GMOs have made its way there?
    I tried googling but found a bunch of propaganda BS.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Re: GMO Foods in Jamaica

Gmos are everywhere!! But Jamaica is full of organic food!! My guess is like the big mega mart kinda places would be more likely to have gmo products than the marketplace

Administrator

User Info Menu

Through imported food, I would suspect that some GMO food can be purchased in the stores. But the local produce is pretty much organic as the trade has been passed down from generation to generation. The most recent info I can find is a march against Monsanto and GMOs.

http://iriefm.net/jamaicans-march-against-gmo-food/

I would look for Ital restaurants which serve organic food. Zimbali also has a Foodie Tour that can be found in Dining section.

I hope this helps a bit.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 541lion View Post
    Gmos are everywhere!! But Jamaica is full of organic food!! My guess is like the big mega mart kinda places would be more likely to have gmo products than the marketplace
    Organic and GMO are not mutually exclusive. You can organically grow GMO crops. I'm not promoting GMO by any means, as I think the companies that make them are pretty close to being pure evil (not in all cases, but generally, and far too detailed a topic for this board).

User Info Menu

Jamaica just needs to join most of the EU in saying no to GMO. I'm all for that.

I just love the farm to table / ocean to table way that food is prepared there.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acdc2712 View Post
    This is our first trip to Jamaica and we leave on Wednesday. We eat organic and I was wondering if GMOs have made its way there?
    I tried googling but found a bunch of propaganda BS.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Organic food and food with GMOs are 2 different things. Allot of organic product in the US is genetically modified.
    Peace, Todd & Cher

User Info Menu

We try really hard in the states to buy organic. It's where all of our.money goes. Lol
    Thank you for your responses.
    Cosmicmoose, I agree. We are on the East Coast in Charleston, SC and we have plenty of farm to table restaurants and they are awesome!

User Info Menu

Where we usually vacation in Mexico they are also farm to table and we always feel so good after all the fresh produce and fish!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acdc2712 View Post
    We try really hard in the states to buy organic. It's where all of our.money goes. Lol
    You should look into that further. There are some fruits/veggies that are better being "organic" (which is a bit of a misnomer itself), and some that really don't matter at all. You should also look into the contradictions involved in something being labeled organic, but that's not for this forum.

Administrator

User Info Menu

This may be one of the few places about the GMO topic can be discussed. Please feel free to continue. Real truth is power!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!