Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change money

User Info Menu

Change money

Landing on Saturday in a few weeks and I would like to get some Canadian changed into Jamaican before i check in at Rooms. Where would a good place be to do this? I will be in Negril about 6 pm. Would the cambio across from times square still be open at that time? If I had to wait until Sunday, would there be a change money option then, or am I out of luck until Monday? Thanks in advance for your input.
    If you are worried about something, do something about it. If there is nothing you can do, why worry!

User Info Menu

Re: Change money

Quote Originally Posted by Stoners6 View Post
    Landing on Saturday in a few weeks and I would like to get some Canadian changed into Jamaican before i check in at Rooms. Where would a good place be to do this? I will be in Negril about 6 pm. Would the cambio across from times square still be open at that time? If I had to wait until Sunday, would there be a change money option then, or am I out of luck until Monday? Thanks in advance for your input.
    I can only speak for what I did, which was use the place right next door to the hi-lo, fxtrader maybe? I was there mid afternoon, no idea about their hours.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

For the time you'd be getting in...I would have your driver stop at the HiLo in Montego Bay...located in the Fairview Mall area...tell your driver the HiLo near the movie theatre...there's an FX Trader there and they give the best rate.
    I'm sure you know not to exchange at the airport...horrible exchange rate.

User Info Menu

Or just use an ATM that gives Jamaican currency.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wrtiii View Post
    Or just use an ATM that gives Jamaican currency.
    exactly.....pull out your debit card and ur in business. No need for a cambio

User Info Menu

If you use a Scotia ATM and bank with them at home, there are no extra charges.

Hint: before you go home, change some money and take it with you for your next trip. That way you won't be in a panic about cambios.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Stoner, there are places in Winnipeg that will sell you Jamaican currency, but at 'about' airport exchange rates.

User Info Menu

As Bnewb said, Mobay is your best bet (cambio's in Negril closed by the time you get in). If for some reason that fails, you can always go to the China man shop and exchange there (I think they'll do CAD, can someone verify?).

User Info Menu

hit the atm by the first craft market as you enter negril. bank of nova scotia, no charge. gives out ja dollars. simple. on your way in.

User Info Menu

If you are a CIBC customer; that machine is at the Plaza close to Burger King on the Sea Side of the road. I don't know the Plaza name...Lisa?