Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

User Info Menu

Re: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

I know travellers cheques are now out of style but wish they were not. Maybe a pain in the arse for some but the security of having them was worth the pain and worry in my humble opinion. I am not comfortable to use the ATM's at the bank or other locations in foreign. When I travel I am happy for anything that relieves the stress of being away from home.

User Info Menu

been using mi Debit ATM cards since who knows when here.......probably since the late 80's or early 90's
    mi use mi American Debit Cards all da time here and never had a problem........
    these days mi use them primarily at HiLo, ValueMaster and Quality Traders....takes food to live here....lol
    rarely at da NCB ATM by HiLo....which mi have used since the 90's.......without a problem
    never used the Scotia Banks ATM's.....and only a couple times the NCB ATM by ValueMaster......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

In 15 trips to Jamaica I have never used a debit or credit card while on the island. I take them in case of emergency, but have never had to use them.

I have mentioned this on here before and was flamed for carrying cash, but I have a method that works for me and I will continue to use it. All of my cash is never in one place and is never out of my site.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Just curious if the cards that were hacked had the new chip in them or not. I have seen reports of how someone can electronically steal your card info if close enough to it. Men's wallets are typically in spots someone can stand very near. I do use a debit card for cash and fortunately have never had an issue. I did have a problem once with a credit card I only used at the airport but you are not responsible for bogus charges on a credit card. It was quickly caught and we were alerted and cancelled the card.

User Info Menu

I had the same thing happen during the first week of the year. The ATM card we use is from Schwab brokerage.

Here's the scenario:

A withdrawal made on New Year's eve suddenly appeared twice on the the internet activity page.
    Oddly, both had the same transaction number. However, one was an ATM withdrawal and the other showed as POS (point of sale) transaction.
    It being the holiday I couldn't get in touch with Schwab until the following Monday.
    When I spoke with them and their fraud/forensic department they were unaware of the issue but immediacy refunded the second (POS) transaction
    I told them I needed to make another withdrawal and they told me to go ahead and they would monitor.
    On Tuesday the same thing happened so I called again
    At that time they told me that it was happening to all ATM transactions in the Caribbean and South America and was being investigated.
    All ATM and CC purchases in the Carribbean and South America are processed at a facility in Brazil..
    By Friday the problem had been solved and has not occurred again. They blamed it on a sofware glitch.

Interesting conjecture on my part:

1. I fund the Jamaica card on an "as needed" basis and it is not tied to any other source of funds and I transfer the funds by hand on the 'Net
    2. In the interim I only have 10 bucks or so in that account. This can be done is seconds by way of the internet.
    3. The first double withdrawal took the balance down to a negative number which is impossible without a secondary backup account
    4. The "software glitch" explanation make no sense. I've been using this system for several years with no problem.
    5. COMPUTER CODE CANNOT REWRITE ITSELF !
    6. Possibly a code error due to the change in year? Remeber Y2K?
    7. "All now" There has never been an explanation of these events
    8. I think it was a hack at the processing facility but it's hard to figure who benefited.

That's what I know. Everything is back to normal

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Rumlover I've heard that about the microchip cards as well! That's why mine is sitting here unactivated..

User Info Menu

Lisa, I've tried and was denied because I was not a Canadian citizen.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Captain, I experienced a similar NYE glitch, also with a Schwab card. (I called them NY Day, they are staffed 24/7). At midnight it repeated the transaction at the then-current exchange rate, Schwab said it looked like a machine error. The transaction description is different than my withdrawal but reads like the same place. The fraud dept issued a provisional credit on the 6th. I also thought about Y2K.

A credit card account was hit TWICE in the past year with fraudulent store purchases, both times it was at a physical store in the US (different stores/states), and two purchases made.
    Last edited by Lola; 01-24-2016 at 06:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Walleye View Post
    Lisa, I've tried and was denied because I was not a Canadian citizen.
    Ras...the Scotia Bank in Canada or Jamaica?

User Info Menu

Canada, I called and asked about setting up a account and they said as a citizen of the US I was not eligible. But that was 5 or 6 years ago, maybe it's changed.
    Last edited by Ras Walleye; 01-24-2016 at 06:58 AM.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4