Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you could go on only ONE excursion...

User Info Menu

Our all time ,most enjoyed,most astonishing,most beauteous excursion semi (and crew) have practiced is our daily walk and swim along the beach in Negril!!! I know there are many places to go and see while on Hoilday in Negril but there is nothing better than the BEACH!!!!!

Name:  JamRock2009 053 (Small).jpg
Views: 397
Size:  33.1 KBName:  JamRock2009 086 (Small).jpg
Views: 376
Size:  37.6 KB

Not this,

Name:  JamRock2009 002 (Small).jpg
Views: 346
Size:  31.3 KB

soon come !!

semi(and crew)

User Info Menu

Pelican Bar.
    It's one of the few things we have done several times in JA.

User Info Menu

Cool

My two cents.........

Mayfield Falls gets my vote for a really fun day. The drive there is very picturesque with rolling hills/valleys. You hike down a steep hill to a camp area and they have crafts, good food and you pay a small fee for a guide. $15US per person I think. You cross a rope bridge and they guide you through the bush and falls which are amazingly cool and refreshing. The waters there felt healing to me but maybe it was just the vibe. LOVE the suggestion that you stop in Sav on your way home and shop the market - local vibe to experience there.

A good driver is key as they can enhance your experience with making you feel safe on the drive, share information about the surroundings and guide you along. Many good recommended drivers here like "Kenny". I like to include my driver (just me) and usually treat them to lunch or invite them to join us (but not required of course). Make sure you take the advice here on "fair" rates since you are on a budget.

.....if you want other budget options I would suggest these to experience a lot in a short time:
    • Take a boat ride from the beach/along cliffs at sunset (I usually get a rate of $15US per person)
    • Take a route taxi to Sav for shopping/lunch from the bus park in Negril (its a fun place too) which is just east of downtown by the Police Station...taxi will take you there so just ask (warning some taxi drivers drive FAST on the road to Sav so hold on, enoy the scenery and pray lol...I always return exhausted from going to Sav not sure why - its like sensory overload lol) (apprx $2US per person each way). Ask them to drop you by the market and the return taxi stand -you will walk away from the market area and it will be on your left and looks like a taxi stand (lol) or just ask.
    • Steve's Nature Park - looks super natrual 876-356-3077; www.aquanaturepark.com. No fee I think if you have food/drinks there. (very close to Negril)
    • Visit the lighthouse far Westend - don't think there is a fee but could be wrong......
    • Stop in at a live Realnegril.com webcasts around town - always a cool location and good vibes.
    • Have always wanted to visit the Rockland Bird Sanctuary in MoBay but you will need a chartered driver to take you there I think which increases the cost ($15US per person I think).
    • If you meet someone that lives in the "country" or mountains that you trust you might ask them to show you where they live and maybe buy food and cook a meal with them - it is amazing to be in the mountains looking down on the sea and its fresh and lush. Just spending the day in a local yard has been some of my best times ever.

You guys will have an amazing time even without a day trip because you are drawn to the fun (live webcasts, bonfires, live music, sunset watching, trying all the food, meeting and reasoning with cool people, staring at the sea).

So many parts of the beautiful country to see but you mentioned you would not be returning to Negril for awhile so I understand why you want to get in as much in as possible. enJOY to the Maxxxxxxxxxxxx.
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Loved Mayfield!!

User Info Menu

THANK YOU so much everyone for your helpful advice and suggestions!

Luminous Lagoon - Rockland's Bird Sanctuary : I love it! Those I want to save for our next trip.. Markus is in love with Nature, and the idea of feeding a hummingbird would be a dream come true for both of us.

but Jamar….not so much.

We’ll save those two for our wedding anniversary.

Now it’s been narrowed down to 3 choices for us:

Mayfield falls
    YS Falls/Pelican Bar combo
    Blue Hole Mineral Springs

I’ve never swam inside a real waterfall before. I’ve always wanted to, but it kind of seemed like a fantasy scenario that only happens in movies. Jamar has always wanted to experience it too. Markus has, but it was back when he was a little kid. We came to the conclusion that this is what we all really want to see.

Everyone seems to be rooting for Mayfield Falls, that was my first choice too and it’s closer to Negril, which is a major bonus… It looks so beautiful!

On the other hand.. I also really want to see the Pelican Bar (I’m captivated by the pictures I’ve seen, I just can’t believe something built like that exists out in the ocean.. It looks like it should fall over.. I heard you can snorkel there too. ) and if YS falls is close enough that we could do BOTH… see waterfalls and go to the Pelican bar.

But I’m getting the impression YS falls is not as amazing as Mayfield Falls… and that Pelican Bar might not be worth such a long ride unless I stay overnight at a hotel closeby. So maybe I should save this for another trip.
    (Although I don’t know when that will be for sure…)

Could anyone tell me more about Blue Hole Mineral Springs? I just saw a photo that captured my attention. It looked really mystical and scary.. a man falling into a deep blue hole with light shining overhead. What is this place?

Negrilaholic - I wish we could join up for a side trip but you wont be in Jamaica yet. We’re planning it for Day 3 and You’re flying in on the day before we leave. I really hope we get to meet you though! What time are you arriving in Negril?
    Last edited by Clarity; 10-10-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Mayfield Falls is great ... one little thing: cabbies are not crazy about the drive because there are a bunch of little pot holes, unless they've been fixed ... the place is definitely worth it even if you've seen other waterfalls, but ESPECIALLY if you're a newbie -- you will really like this place.

Blue Hole Mineral Springs (not to be confused with what-I-think-is-better Blue Hole Gardens in Roaring River) is basically a large hole in the ground where you can jump into cold fresh water (but the climb back up the ladder can be tough on the feet), and there is also a nice hotel-style pool and a nearby bar with thatched roof type of thing .... it's kind of like the back courtyard to a three-star hotel but without an ocean .... i went there when it was just starting up a few years back, and I was the only soul there, except for a local on a motorcycle who had guided me there (he barely made it himself the place was so new) for the usual $20 dollar tip .... i think the place charged like five or six dollars for use of the pool ..... I enjoyed myself -- it's the only pool in the whole neighborhood, i think, and that can be enticing on a hot afternoon ..... the folks who ran it were young guys.

User Info Menu

YS is more of a waterfall, as" Mayfield River Walk" Just fyi is not a large waterfall you walk up the river bed and there are some falls, just trying to give you a better idea what is there.

User Info Menu

Oh man, I get in about 3:05pm on the 7th..whatever's possible, just let me know..

I loved YS so much I'm going back..it has many layers or levels to it and most of them have their own swim area..there is even an area where you can swing out on a rope and land, and yes, I thought that was pretty cool. I am also thinking of going to Blue Hole and hanging out for the day myself, it does look like it would be neat. Maybe on my next trip I will do Mayfield, but I didn't get enough of YS the first time. There is also not just one but two pools at YS..I only knew about and saw the one when I was here, but from what I understand if you follow the walkway at the base of the waterfalls they have another one too..if I recall correctly that one was heated, but don't quote me on that.

User Info Menu

Dolphin Cove!!

User Info Menu

Based on your description, I think YS & Pelican are the best for you.

Mayfield is not your "movie waterfall", but YS kinda fits that bill. As PGW said Mayfield is more of a riverwalk with small falls and rapids you walk through.
    Blue Hole was fun, but was more of an afternoon outing... not really a true days excursion in my mind as there is not much to do there.

In reality you might even be able to hit Pelican, YS and then Blue Hole on the way back to Negril.