Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you could go on only ONE excursion...

User Info Menu

If you could go on only ONE excursion...

We didn't really have any time to go on any excursions on our last trip. It was our very first time in Jamaica and there's was so much to do in Negril. We weren't very adventurous.

We have six nights in Negril next month. We really want to travel a bit outside of Negril and go on an excursion on this reach.

We have one day set aside for this and we have a few ideas but we could use some advice.

If you could only go on ONE excursion from this below list... Which would YOU choose?

Mayfield Falls
    YS Falls
    Floyds Pelican Bar
    Rhodes Hall Plantation
    Black River Safari
    Appleton Estates
    River Tubing

Is there anything that we're missing that you would recommend?

Three of us are going to go on this trip. Me, Markus and our friend, Jamar.
    Unfortunately, We don't have a huge budget, so we're also trying to find the most affordable way to take this little side trip.

Thank you for any suggestions or advice you can offer!

-Daisy
    Last edited by Clarity; 10-09-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Mayfields....Beautiful drive there, very natural there..YS is cool too....All the places are..but Mayfields gets my vote...
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

Well, I have been to YS falls and loved it so much I want to go back. Have been on two other excursions, to Roaring River, and the Black River Deluxe tour that included a dolpin search and trip to Pelican Bar...went to Pelican Bar again as part of the YS trip..don't know anything about Mayfield Falls, but it sounds like it would be a lot of fun too.

One thing you might think of is sharing the excursion with others to lower costs..and I don't know if you have anyone lined up, but I really loved Sienna and Sala and family from Talk of the Town Tours. Sienna is not in Negril right now, but her family is still doing tours, and I have been on three with them and loved every one. I will be in Negril next month too if you are interested in sharing one with me let me know and if not it's all good.

User Info Menu

Mayfield Falls hands down!
    Jamaica Bound!

User Info Menu

Clarity...tough question, but a darn good one!
    I have to add a few to your list that we really enjoyed as well.
    Lovers Leap-The most beautiful view and love story, about Tunky & Mizzy...and if you belive, you can feel their spirits.

Rocklands bird sanctuary-feed hummingbirds, they land on your finger and you feed them from a tiny bottle, an amazing experience, these birds are not captured they are in their natural environment, learn about the healing herbs and plants used as natural remedies throughout the country, a very affordable and special excursion, only minutes from Montego Bay and the scenery is delighful.

Luminious Lagoon-Glistening Waters-Not too many of these lagoons around the world and to be able to experience it in Jamaica-well worth it.. bioluminescent waters .. the water glows, i was glowing, the fish swimming by were glowing, it was truly amazing.
    look up some pictures on google images!! amazing it was!

can't wait to hear your pick! have an amazing time! and can't wait for the next trip report! One Love!

User Info Menu

I'd add Blue Hole Mineral Spring to that list it's in Brighton, not too far from Little Bay. Blue Hole is a growing place and they are working hard on the property. Great for the thrill seekers!!

Peace,
    Islander - Brynn
    Looking forward to our next visit to beautiful Jamaica! See you soon!!

User Info Menu

If I had to pick only one it would be Mayfield.

But if I was going to devote a day to excursions, I would do a long day and hit:
    Black River
    Pelican
    YS Falls
    Appleton
    You could hit at least 3 of those 4 in a day (maybe all 4 if you dont stay long at each). I did the black river/ys falls/appleton; picked up at 9am back just after sunset.

The best way I have found to lower cost is to set something up with a driver now and establish a price. Then ask how much the price would drop per person if you added people. Then you can try and recruit people to join you (try asking here or on tripadvisor or other guests once you arrive).

User Info Menu

I guess its all about what you have experienced before and where your interests are. I thought the Black River tour was pretty cool. I've seen plenty of falls all over the world so that didnt excite me as much. Floyds was unique and a great tie in to Black River as they are close to each other. 2 for 1!

All are great choices no matter what you decide.

User Info Menu

Glistening Waters for sure! Amazing! Don't go on a cruise ship day. Mobay undersea tour. Again, don't go on a cruise ship day. Make reservations. Blue Hole at Roaring River. Glistening Waters (Luminous Lagoon) is the best. Capt Jerry told us there are only 4 in the world, but the biggest and brightest is in Jamaica. We got Gary to fall back into the water and it looked like a million light sticks exploded around him! Truly a natural wonder! Only USD20 for the boat tour, I think. Great, reasonable resto on site, too.

User Info Menu

pelican bar with captain dennis